The Welsummer Thread!!!!

I love it when such warm fuzzy feelings between three or four of you sharing the loss and be able to share hatching eggs! Such generous and understanding people you all are!

I have 5 pullets that have just begun to lay..... one of which is a Welsummer. Do you think this could be her first egg? Just with the darker layer of color absent? If not, do you know what is going on with this egg? I am so new at this, thanks for any help.
100004_img_5298.jpg

Our first half dozen!!
100004_img_5297.jpg

Where did you get your wellie? It might be a wellie egg - usually wellies don't lay a glossy egg, most of the time it's a matte finish. I do have one girl that lays a glossy egg though. The build up is just excess calcium.

I got her as a started pullet from a lady in Cologne, MN. Thanks for the info. I so badly want to know who is laying. I never catch anyone in the act!

Quote:
I've never had much luck in maintaining a rooster pen. Once they become of breeding age the natural instinct is for them to eliminate their competitors. I built a wall of cages with pullout dropping trays in the work area of my large fowl coop so each rooster has his own individual cage.

Quote:
I have a Wellie girl and a Marans who both lay eggs like this at some point during their lay cycle. It will run it's course but don't be surprized if they lay a normal egg for a few weeks and then another like this. Often I get what I call "leader eggs", that lead up toones like these. These leader eggs will have signs that a heavily speckled or coated egg is coming.
I get more of these eggs from my Marans than I do from the Wellie girl.

The Wellies' egg ....(can't find the Wellie egg photo yet, but will post it as soon as I do)

The eggs from Marans
11170_imgp1647.jpg

Quote:
W00t!!! Mine are only three weeks younger than yours....no egg yet, but got to be getting there! Eeeeeee, the wait is so hard now that it's so close!
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom