The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Quote:
Sheesh, I wish. I don't have a single wellie laying. Even the pullets have quit and are going through minor molts.

I have never had so many pullets molt as I have this year.
barnie.gif
I thought I'd be fine for eggs this winter since I had so many pullets - well I guess they decided to prove me wrong.

Quote:
Sheesh, I wish. I don't have a single wellie laying. Even the pullets have quit and are going through minor molts.

barnie.gif
I thought I'd be fine for eggs this winter since I had so many pullets - well I guess they decided to prove me wrong.

What's a Wellie egg look like again?????
gig.gif

Quote:

barnie.gif

What's a Wellie egg look like again?????
gig.gif

I can't recall, it's been too long.
tongue.png

LOL I forgot what mine look like!
lol.png

No I am not doing any hatches until the broody Orp mom starts up probably around March OR wait until June when the weather warms up that they can be safetly put up outside and brought in at night.

I will hope to get some Wellies from FayeWV and some from a lady in KS that has the Fugate lines. That is something new I will check into. Planning on getting some Spitzhaubens again from Carla (Allenwranch) and Chrisf. And hopefully FayeWV would include some Ameraucanas in the lot. I've got homes lining up for any cockerals out of those chicks I raise because many of them are looking for roos. Seems like this year, people wanted roos and many of us either got rid of them or ate them.

Quote:
We are setting Wellsummer eggs for the New Year's Day hatch. We've had a light on the hens since mid-October and will turn it off now that we have our clutch to set. Our 4H boy wants more mature birds for the county/state fair next year. Last year we had a pretty late start, since we didn't have any eggs of our own to incubate. This year we've planned ahead. Of course, our planning ahead hasn't included a plan for where these hatchlings will grow out, but we know it won't be the basement anymore. Too much dust!

Quote:
We are setting Wellsummer eggs for the New Year's Day hatch. We've had a light on the hens since mid-October and will turn it off now that we have our clutch to set. Our 4H boy wants more mature birds for the county/state fair next year. Last year we had a pretty late start, since we didn't have any eggs of our own to incubate. This year we've planned ahead. Of course, our planning ahead hasn't included a plan for where these hatchlings will grow out, but we know it won't be the basement anymore. Too much dust![/b

This is the exact reason I wont be raising chicks in the basement anymore. Too dusty and too messy!

Back
Top Bottom