The Welsummer Thread!!!!

I recently took some photos of my Welsummers. I need to take some more but I thought I would share. The rooster is Midwest breeding/Lowell Barber and the pullets are from Whitmore Farms, in one of the photos is one of our yearling hens who is from the same line as the rooster. I did not keep any Whitmore Farms roosters. I had 15 of them!! I just kept my two that I had. I really like them. They have excellent temperament and are very friendly to both man and bird. They are good sized too.

Someone was discussing flighty birds. All of my birds are very friendly and look forward to my arrival. When I let them out to roam they are excited. Run about and fly about as pictured. Sometimes I will go and sit on the 4 wheeler. Before you know it I have chickens on all ends of the 4 wheeler asking me about the day.
In some of the photos the hens are not Welsummers. I also have Golden Comets etc.

The pullets are now laying lovely very dark lightly speckled eggs. They are as dark as Marans eggs so that is exciting. The Rooster's eye looks hazy but it is not, he is blinking.

Thanks for letting me share.

I
love.gif
Welsummers!!
Nice pictures!

Last edited:
I need yalls help. Is there any distinct difference between a Welsummer Chick and a Speckled Sussex Chick? I have 7 SS and 1 Wellie and cant tell the difference! X)
I had both at once this spring. My SS's were more of a red shade compared to the Wellies. . If I remember correctly (and that's a stretch lol) the SS's had a yellowish breast as very young chicks, while the wellies had more of a cream color.

Back
Top Bottom