the "white" part of the egg was reddish (looked tinged with blood)

drdanags

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 29, 2012
I have 5 pullets (~6 months old), all are laying and all the eggs have looked fine until one day I cracked one egg and the "white" part of the egg was reddish (looked tinged with blood). This was not streaked, but a uniform red color. Needless to say, I did not use that egg (just looked disturbing). Does any one know what causes this? I am hoping it does not happen very often. The egg looked completely normal otherwise.

What breed of chicken is this and where did you buy her? I have a hatchery welsummer hen who has those same eggs. She is 18 months old now, but I finally narrowed down the bloody egg I was getting to her. Some on BYC had suggested it might be a vitamin B deficiency, but since she eats a well-balanced diet just like the other 30 layers, I doubted that. She has stopped laying altogether now which may be due to molting.
This picture was just a mild episode--usually they were grossly bloody, but I couldn't find my picture.

Its normal to see from time to time. Birds can and do lay eggs with blood in them. It can happen from the bird getting bumped, banged or lightly hurt causing a small bleed inside. Think of it as sort of a internal bruise from something. The bird will be fine but it is possible to have a few more eggs with blood until she heals. If it happens on a regular basis then check if something is scaring them causing them to crash around.

If you like you can candle future eggs by shining them with a bright flashlight to look for red or spots. Or easier just remember to crack eggs into a dish before adding to a pan or recipe. That way you don't have to try fishing a bloody egg out a mix or pan.

Thanks! These posts were helpful. I think I have narrowed it down to one of two girls. I am ust keeping an eye on them and making sure all is well. Also reminding my daughter to be very careful with handling.

Definitely now cracking eggs in a separate container!

Back
Top Bottom