The Wyandotte Bantam Thread

We attended a poultry show and now I have to get some bantam W's! We would be getting them just for enjoyment - not for show (yet :D.)
I was hoping someone could answer a few questions so we would know how to modify our yard.

How high can they fly fully feathered and with their wings clipped? (Def. one advantage of a DP breed. Those chubby thjngs won't even bother trying to get over a 3 ft. fence.)
How is their temperment compared to a full-sized W. Are they more skittish or shy?
How infrequently do they lay?
Will they be ok sharing space with a full sized bird once they are adult size?)

Thanks everyone!

We attended a poultry show and now I have to get some bantam W's! We would be getting them just for enjoyment - not for show (yet :D.)
I was hoping someone could answer a few questions so we would know how to modify our yard.

How high can they fly fully feathered and with their wings clipped? (Def. one advantage of a DP breed. Those chubby thjngs won't even bother trying to get over a 3 ft. fence.)
How is their temperment compared to a full-sized W. Are they more skittish or shy?
How infrequently do they lay?
Will they be ok sharing space with a full sized bird once they are adult size?)

Thanks everyone!

They still fly pretty well, cute and tubby though they are.

I have the tops of all of my runs covered since I have an insanely high amount of flying predators here.

They are sweet homebodies though... so I would guess that unless motivated (scared, or wanting to find a secret spot to lay eggs), they would probably happily stay behind a five foor fence.

I find them much sweeter, calmer, and more like pets than the full sized versions.

As to laying... HIGHLY variable. I had blue laced reds for one year. :sick gorgeous...but really now!!! I think I got only an egg a week. :rolleyes:

Right now I have the sweetest blue wyandotte girl..I think she is laying about every other day.

I have kept bantams and full sized together in the past. They usually do fine. I like having at least two to three bantams together...so they have buddies.

Also, high perches are good too...since the bantams can usually fly up higher and so escape bullying by the bigger girls.

It is important to watch your feeders.... if they are bullied off of the feeders they will not get enough to eat. But also, depending on the kind of feeder you have, they might need a step stool to reach the feed.

Today I placed an order with Ideal Hatchery for 25 bantam Wyandottes in assorted plumage. It appears that the hatchery does not have any SL, and they are very low on blue Wyandottes (which would be my first choice). But they will ship large numbers of GL, Columbian, and buff Columbian anytime I care to order, so I suspect that my order will consist of some combination of golden laced, Columbian and/or buff Columbian.

I'm very excited, and I hope the chicks arrive healthy. Last year my chicks did quite well, and I'm hoping these do, too.

Alaskan, I believe Purely Poultry obtained their Wyandottes from Ideal. They previously carried the exact same varieties as Ideal, and as Ideal eliminated varieties due to lack of supply, such as the blue laced red and sliver laced, Purely Poultry also discontinued the same variety. Now, they carry the same varieties as Cackle Hatchery, and for some reason Ideal is no longer their source.

These will not, of course, be show quality birds. But Ideal has a very large number of bantams, and they regularly have screamin' deals on them if you are willing to buy 25 or more. Last year I was able to purchase 25 Brahma bantams for $1 each. I sold 20 out of 25, kept a small breeding group of four pullets and one cockerel, and I've been pleased with my birds - they are good little layers of a shockingly large bantam egg. Now, I think I want some Dark Brahma bantams, too, but first I want to see how much I like these little Wyandottes.

I'm so excited!
jumpy.gif

Today I placed an order with Ideal Hatchery for 25 bantam Wyandottes in assorted plumage.    It appears that the hatchery does not have any SL, and they are very low on blue Wyandottes (which would be my first choice).    But they will ship large numbers of GL, Columbian, and buff Columbian anytime I care to order, so I suspect that my order will consist of some combination of golden laced, Columbian and/or buff Columbian.    

I'm very excited, and I hope the chicks arrive healthy.   Last year my chicks did quite well, and I'm hoping these do, too.  

Alaskan, I believe Purely Poultry obtained their Wyandottes from Ideal.   They previously carried the exact same varieties as Ideal, and as Ideal eliminated varieties due to lack of supply, such as the blue laced red and sliver laced, Purely Poultry also discontinued the same variety.   Now, they carry the same varieties as Cackle Hatchery, and for some reason Ideal is no longer their source.

These will not, of course, be show quality birds.  But Ideal has a very large number of bantams, and they regularly have screamin' deals on them if you are willing to buy 25 or more.   Last year I was able to purchase 25 Brahma bantams for $1 each.   I sold 20 out of 25, kept a small breeding group of four pullets and one cockerel, and I've been pleased with my birds - they are good little layers of a shockingly large bantam egg.   Now, I think I want some Dark Brahma bantams, too, but first I want to see how much I like these little Wyandottes.

I'm so excited!:jumpy   

Well, the blue bantam Wyandotte that I have from Purely Poultry is very nice quality...so hopefully the ones you are getting from Ideal will be the same quality.

She has the great Wyandotte cushion tail and nice round form. Such a pretty girl.

I bet I get a few that I like. My experience with my Brahmas is that out of the 5 chicks I kept, I like three very much - my rooster and two hens. One of my hens is sooooo pretty! She is just a lovely bird, with unusually light coloring that is beautiful, a clearer, more golden color rather than the normal buff. It's probably disqualifying for show, but it's a beautiful color. Her form is gorgeous! But she is very, very shy, and sweet.

I have another hen that is also very pretty and sweet, and I like my rooster in looks and temperament. One of my hens is an awful bird; just mean, mean, mean. I have her separated with her only friend, who is also mean but not quite as bad. Neither of these birds are anywhere near as nice in appearance as the other two, along with having rotten temperament.

So, I expect to obtain some good birds from this batch, if only a handful or so. I will post photos. I'm hoping against hope that I will receive a blue/black/splash chick or two or four. I need to get busy building a new chicken pen in the barn!

I'm loving it now that it has warmed up outside. March was cold!!

Our snow is finally melting. Yeah!

I have a couple of eggs from my blue bantam wyandotte in the incubator right now...only a few, but I so hope one will hatch out another blue girl. This will be an EE though... but I so love blue.

My problem with gathering her eggs to hatch.... her eggs are SUCH A LIGHT BROWN, that I often confuse them with my slightly tinted mostly white d'uccle eggs.

I wish her eggs were clearly brown.

Thankfully, the snow is almost gone at my house. There are some narrow patches of dirty snow remaining in deeply shaded places - you know how it is. But otherwise, things look like spring. The first green leaf buds of the year have made their appearance, and I saw chickadees picking up small chicken down in the yard for their nest this year. Smart chickadees!

Ideal has blues available, just not that many. It is not possible at this time to order more than ten. I'm eager to know how I like the Wyandottes compared to my Brahmas. They sure do come in some beautiful varieties. Post photos of your chicks that hatch?

Back
Top Bottom