The Wyandotte Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by roocrazy, Dec 27, 2009.

1. WyandotteTX

WyandotteTX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    I can help you out a bit on your question. You would want to cross your GL male over show quality SL females. Your product would be improved type GL females and males that would carry both gold and silver together. Use the improved GL females from the cross with your original GL male to improve the type in your line and also keep some of the color within the GL. Then in the next year if you get a better typed GL male, make the cross again with SL and continue until you have the desired type and size with your GL. BUT, always be mindful of the GL color....too much crossing with the SL will lead to brassiness, not the rich mahogany/bay color you would like to have. I will refer to the genius of the thread.....this sound right to you Rudy?

A trio is one male and two females, you are correct.
    There are enough of us on here that will help you out with genetics, just give us some time and we will be glad to try and help you out.
    Sorry to hear about the long day with your husband. Hang in there, it will get better.
    John

2. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    [​IMG] Our Roosters got into a HUGE fight last night(all in the mud, so they look like they mud wrestled). They have been fine together for 7-8 months. No more. We have them separated now. We're still working on our other pen, if it would stop raining we could finish the posts and get the fence in and be done with it. Do waddle injuries take long to heal? The one roo has a cut on his waddle.

3. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    Quote:Here is a great book for breeding....this guy knows his stuff.

http://www.featherauction.com/detail.asp?id=1581&n=21st-Century-Poultry-Breeding

Seems like we always turn to the Whites and the SLWs to improve all the Wyandottes. Great post WyandotteTX.....where oh where did Rudy go?
    If you want to break a broody you can put her in a wire cage with food and water for 5-7 days. Seems like when we put them somewhere with straw or shavings they make a new nest and continue to brood. Wish I had a broody....my Sebastopol eggs got fertile again. If only I could get some to hatch this year. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  4. Mrs. Turbo

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
  5. encorepistol

encorepistol Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
    Wish they were blacks and silver laced! Lol

6. Mrs. Turbo

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    Quote:everyone wants SLWs this year. I don't know of anyone else shipping them out.

7. PeakyBeaky

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
  8. PeakyBeaky

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Mrs. Turbo :

Quote:everyone wants SLWs this year. I don't know of anyone else shipping them out.

Ours should Hatch today!​

9. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    Mrs. Turbo :

I still have blue Wyandotte chicks boxed up and ready to go....the winner of my auction has not paid and I need to ship them out.

http://www.featherauction.com/detail.asp?id=1637

I was about to take one for the team and buy them, but they're not listed anymore. [​IMG]

10. Mrs. Turbo

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    Quote:I was about to take one for the team and buy them, but they're not listed anymore. [​IMG]

thanks Colby, but the lady finally emailed me. I am not sure why people don't read the auctions before bidding. [​IMG]
    Wouldn't be a big deal to keep the extras, but we have runners and call ducks hatching too and we keep all the bantams and the project pens....we do get a few stragglers though. Our families already think we are nuts when they come over and see all the young birds in the field.....good thing there is a lock on our brooder room.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by