The Wyandotte Thread

Well I guess that means I will have to wait pon the dottes then.... Have to replace my cochins and get roos for the sets we are wanting to breed. These will go on my wishlist :)

Well I guess that means I will have to wait pon the dottes then.... Have to replace my cochins and get roos for the sets we are wanting to breed. These will go on my wishlist
smile.png
Don't loose hope..with good investigation you can find SQ and BQ BLRW. You can even purchase chicks from him on the rare breeders auction site on occasion. He has breeder pairs on there also. Others also breed good quality birds. Many of us are well on the way. I have purchased from Jerry, from Max, and from an importer. My original purchase's and feed costs from the birds is much more than a quality trio today. You buy the chicks, grow them out and feed feed feed. That costs money.

Does anyone know how much it costs to feed and house one chicken a year?

I am definitely not giving up! Like I said- these are just to beautiful NOT to have some LOL I just have several other birds that need to be replaced first and gotten roos for, then I can move on to these lovelies :)

Quote: too many variables to say for sure, including breed. some birds are slower growing, therefor have a lower feed intake.
factor in free ranging, scraps from the table, etc.

I free range everyone I can, when I can, so my feed bill is probably a fraction of someone's who keeps everyone penned.

I start free ranging chicks as soon as they're acclimated to the outdoor temperatures and they know where 'home' is. i'm holding off on this latest batch of babies simply because of my predator issues I've been having, and they're all headed to swap in 2 weeks anyways. (except 1 girl who will be put in the main coop soon as her buddies are gone).

Last edited:
"I've never seen a barred Columbian..." Aren't Delawares barred silver coumbian?
ok thanks... never having had or observed delawares, I wasn't aware of that... I tend to avoid anything that's mostly white. they don't stay that way for long around here.

Last edited:
Don't loose hope..with good investigation you can find SQ and BQ BLRW. You can even purchase chicks from him on the rare breeders auction site on occasion. He has breeder pairs on there also. Others also breed good quality birds. Many of us are well on the way. I have purchased from Jerry, from Max, and from an importer. My original purchase's and feed costs from the birds is much more than a quality trio today. You buy the chicks, grow them out and feed feed feed. That costs money.

Does anyone know how much it costs to feed and house one chicken a year?

I worked out it costs around 5 cents a day to feed one of our our chickens on average. BUT half of our chickens are Silkies, which don't eat very much at all, and most of the rest are English Orps which eat like there is no tomorrow. All of our pens are large enough that they eat bugs, grass etc and all have access to the outside. If you kept them indoors then feed cost would be higher.

Last edited:
Quote: I figured it out for me too... penned birds with no foraging right now, I've got 16 Dorkings, 25 bantam cochins, 4 sfh & 2 blrw plus the buff orp (for happy blrw roo). and 4 assorted mixed breed chicks. then free ranging i've got another 10 Dorkings, 5 ee's, and 6 other assorted extras/roos... so that's 73 birds all together. I go thru about 100 pounds of feed a week ($30). which works out to 1.4 pounds per bird, roughly, or about 41c per bird, per WEEK... it would be even less if the horses and dog didn't try to help themselves now and then too. those numbers are primarily adults and pullets nearing POL... of that total about 10 are between 2 and 3 months old.

it would cost considerably less if I fed just a basic layer pellet ($22 per hundred) but everyone gets a 'rooster booster' pellet (basically 20% chick feed in pelleted form) and free choice egg and oyster shell.

my chickies have gotten a bit older so im back for another opinion if nobody minds.... these guy were ordered straight run and are 6 weeks old. any idea on gender? im not good with wyandotte genders
hu.gif
hope you wyandotte experts can help! if you need different angles, just ask =)

1&2

3&4

3&4 again since i may keep these if they are female

Back
Top Bottom