The Wyandotte Thread

Thanks Matt. I know you can cull something like single combs and serious flaws like cross beak, but I was wondering if they have a pinched tail if it will continue to open up, or is it always like it is during their first feathering? I have some that have gorgeous, wide open tails and others that don't look close at all to what they should, but they're still on their first feathers so I don't want to be too hasty.

Any advice for what to do when your wyandottes don't have any tails? My 2 1/2 month old white wyandottes have no tails, just bare stumps. How do I stop the feather picking?

Quote:
I think you can safely cull for pinched tails...they dont normally open up with age, you can also check the width of the hips...they should be just as wide as the shoulders..so that you have the same width all the way back to the tail on your bird. Keep the open tailed birds even if they dont have much tail rise...the tail is usually the last thing on Wyandottes to get the right angle.

Quote:
If you have a light on them, I would turn it off or at least get a red bulb. Also make sure you dont have too many in a small enclosure, sometimes putting a "flock block"in the pen will help...the number one thing is letting them free range during the day. Sometimes once they start they just wont stop..especially the cockerels..you may have to put each individual bird in its own pen for a month or so, to break the habit.

Quote:
I think you can safely cull for pinched tails...they dont normally open up with age, you can also check the width of the hips...they should be just as wide as the shoulders..so that you have the same width all the way back to the tail on your bird. Keep the open tailed birds even if they dont have much tail rise...the tail is usually the last thing on Wyandottes to get the right angle.

A photo for width demonstration,
30249_sany0561.jpg

Quote:
If you have a light on them, I would turn it off or at least get a red bulb. Also make sure you dont have too many in a small enclosure, sometimes putting a "flock block"in the pen will help...the number one thing is letting them free range during the day. Sometimes once they start they just wont stop..especially the cockerels..you may have to put each individual bird in its own pen for a month or so, to break the habit.

What is a flock block? They are in a chicken tractor on the lawn, with no artificial light.

They have a poultry block similar to cattle or goat mineral blocks, they can purchased and placed in the pens. they are well balanced good protien levels and high in Vitamins and minerals.

Quote:

What is a flock block? They are in a chicken tractor on the lawn, with no artificial light.

Do you have too many birds in the tractor? If the birds are way over crowded it will cause feather picking...

Purina makes a block that is like a cattle salt block, the chicks peck on it instead of each other....gives bored birds something to do......I would also seriously consider free ranging them during the day.

Back
Top Bottom