Their first night outside on their own

Separation anxiety is the perfect description, Featherhead007. Mine are old enough to go outside, but I have been using "cold weather" as an excuse not to. (Uh, I live in southern California, and it was 65 degrees today, and I know this is not really "cold.")

I know they are bored & will LOVE the day when they finally get to free-range outside with the flock. It's chicken paradise out there! But in my selfish little heart, I wish they could be house chickens forever!
Well, I hope you made it thru the night. They should be ok now, you too!:thumbsup PS. chic

Moved our 4 week olds out to the new coop yesterday. Weather is beautiful, 80's during the day and 60's at night. I think they are enjoying the new space.
IMG_5926.jpg

Went out around 10 PM and didn't here a peep.

So you guys are gonna laugh at me.......

We ended up taking them back inside last night after it got dark. I could hear them squalling with panic all the way from inside the house! :hit

Instead of going inside the hen house where the heat pad was, they decided to stay outside and hide behind a bale of hay I left in there! They were huddled together shivering and screaming their little heads off! When they saw my husband they bolted to the gate and squished themselves against the gate as close as they could get to him while still squealing in terror. My heart couldn't take it..........

They were just fine while it was light out... so I'm thinking maybe I'll let them spend a few days out there first to get used to the coop before I leave them outside again at night LOL ...

Haha I'm actually so tired of them being in my living room, the dander is getting intense. However, my worried-mama instincts are stronger than all of it :D :lau

I have resorted to covering EVERYTHING except for hubbies couch/throne with plastic in my living room and dining room. It's kind of all open. Those cheap painters drop cloths are huge and I can just throw them away when this is all over with.

It's temporary and knowing that I won't have a HUGE mess to clean up afterwards is great. It's not going to keep ALL of it out but it will definitely help.

It's been unseasonably cold here in Wisconsin. My babies are 6-7 weeks old. It's about 38-42°F at night, and 55-65°F during the day. Is it too cold to move them outside, into their coop? I don't have a heating pad or power in the coop (yet).

Mine went out today! 4 weeks old ,fully feathered , and in the big coop with the hens. No problems! It’s 30 degrees plus .. and they are doing fine! I put 13 out of 40 to see how they would do. All went well. I’ll put some more in on Sunday when it’s 50 degrees. Fresh air will do them good:)

Back
Top Bottom