Thelma (updated with picture)

Buugette

[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra
10 Years
May 26, 2009
Bucks County, PA
I don't know if anyone remembers, but a month ago I received 5 silkies from MPC. One, the little blue, was very small and we almost lost her a few times. She was my daughter's so we did everything we could think of to help her. Everyone on here was great and so helpful.

We gave her vitamins, yogurt, electrolytes, heat, egg yolk, we saw her get stronger, grow a little, eat and drink... play and run with the other chicks, even saw her find, catch, run with and eat a worm.

Her name was Thelma.

Thelma died today. Now I have to tell Cailee.

D

(Everyone thinks I'm nuts, I'm sitting in work crying like a baby... and on my birthday. All because of a sweet, loving, innocent little baby chick.) No one told me I would feel like this.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

I too lost a chicken to a hawk, and it was my son's chicken. It sucks big time.

This isn't going to help, but not all babies of whatever species are going to make it. And I have found that expending a whole lot of effort on the weak ones is an exercise in futility. They often die anyway, and if they do grow up, they just don't do all that well. I'm sorry. You're right. It sucks.

I'm so sorry.
hugs.gif
We do get very attached to our "babies". Thats not crazy. I know you feel so bad about telling your daughter. Like the op said, they don't all live unfortunately. Its even harder when its your birthday too. Happy Birthday, even though it feels horrible right now, it is going to get better, you'll see.
hugs.gif

I'm so sorry for you and your daughter. At least you can have a funeral maybe for this little one? This might be a good opportunity as well to show your daughter that out of pain can come joy as well... Thelma lives on in your memories, and she can help the other chickies get strong and live on for her. At least Thelma got to enjoy her life for the short bit she was here, and thats all anyone can ask for.

Sadly tho, its something we all have to deal with at one time or another with our feathered babies:(

I lost a 7 week old chick a bit back, but I had to cull it. Hardest thing I ever did but it was best it didnt suffer. Your daughter will one day realize, and you will as well...tho probably not atm, that this was probably the best thing for Thelma. There was probably something more wrong with her than was seen...and she most likely would have suffered greatly if she had survived. She knew she was loved, and thats all we can really hope for in this world
smile.png

Happy Birthday...and I hope you can find some joy in it. (((hugs)))

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom