There’s a blood clot on the outside of my egg, what’s happening.

Emegencycenter

Hatching
Jun 15, 2019
Im currently incubating two eggs, one I’ve come to find out was actually infertile. But the other has grown to a healthy size. Hatching day is so so close from what I’ve seen with candling, but I’m not sure when since I was given the eggs without a laid date.

But after coming home from spending my day with my father since Father’s Day is tomorrow, I noticed a spot on my egg. It couldn’t be one of the speckled brown spots nor was it there before- so I checked on it.

It was almost like solid syrup, like a blood clot. I slowly turned it over to find another one, but it was thin like a flat surface, so I think it was just the substance sliding down the egg just slightly. My heart stopped because from what I know, there’s no blood in the hatching process, so it wasn’t hatching.

Please, I don’t know what is going on. Is it...dead?

D8E2DF05-4A88-42B9-9641-D0997B4E9BDD.jpeg

The day they were laid doesn't affect hatch time by more than a few hours. When they were brought up to temperature is when you start counting.
If they got to temperature at noon on a Monday, they will hatch at noon on a Monday - that is provided the temperature was precisely 99.5.
A leaker, like what you have is likely dead.
Actually any incubated egg that leaks or stinks is dead.

I started incubation on May 22nd, it was safe to assume that they were at least 2-4 days old by then.
It doesn't matter so much the date they were laid.

You start counting once you start incubating.
The first day you put them in would be day zero.
So...today would be day 24.

What laid this egg? A chicken or a duck?

Oh yes, that completely slipped my mind. I’ve read about that, where the eggs don’t start developing until they’ve started their incubation, that way they have a timing on hatching all near the same time.

Alright, thank you for letting me know. I had my fingers crossed that there was something I could do for it, but these things happen. Maybe in a few years I can try again.

It doesn't matter so much the date they were laid.

You start counting once you start incubating.
The first day you put them in would be day zero.
So...today would be day 24.

What laid this egg? A chicken or a duck?

Oh yes, I forgot about the incubation factor starting the egg’s development in the mist of my worrying. Sorry about that!

It’s a turkey, actually. They have a 28 day hatching period, so it would still be 4 days off...

I believe I have a leaker. It may be a small amount of blood, but still...I think I have to prepare for the worst.

Oh yes, I forgot about the incubation factor starting the egg’s development in the mist of my worrying. Sorry about that!

It’s a turkey, actually. They have a 28 day hatching period, so it would still be 4 days off...

I believe I have a leaker. It may be a small amount of blood, but still...I think I have to prepare for the worst.
There can be no cell division till the internal egg temperature reaches over 85F. So the egg will just sit there doing nothing regardless of when it was laid.

Back
Top Bottom