There absolutely has to be a better way...

I use the chick quart waterers with the plastic mason jar and the red base, but I put them on a 6" ceramic tile wrong-side-up on top of the shavings. This keeps it from sliding off and it stays up on top of the shavings level.

If you have more space, you have less trouble keeping feed and water straight- it's when everything is cramped that they get into it more- I use a baby pool in my basement (or three
hide.gif
) and they have warm spots under lights, boxes to go in or jump on, food and water stations, etc. It works well for me.

i put a 1 gallo poultry water feeder on top of a 2inch tile. keeps it off the ground and no wet pine shaveings

Quote:
I just got a hamster bottle for my latest chicks. It does drip quite a bit but it's still less messy than the normal chick sized waterer I had before. I just put some extra kitchen towel underneath it to soak up the drips. They can't poop in the water so I still think it's a huge improvement.

I used a small ceramic crock to place under the drips when chicks and once they grew up a bit I now use those attachable bowls for small animals that you can pick up at walmart for around 5 bucks or so. This catches every drip and keeps the bedding dry. It all depends on the size of the chicks and how well they can reach it weather it be sitting on a elevated surface and or bottle with bowl under the tube!

I'm looking for real tiny attachable cups if you see them any place let me know. The ones at walmart work well but, are just a bit large. Thanks

I'm planning on setting my peeps up with nipple waterers in the brooder and have been trying to figure out the best way to deal with the drips. I have some unglazed saltillo tile scraps, shop rags, cloth diapers... something is bound to work!

Not sure that tile scraps sounds like a nice idea, it's slick and they could actually slip on it when wet! If it's a constant drip then the nipple should be replaced and if not then you might consider adding more depending on number of chicks in brooder. They should not drip naturally.

Just another thought, you could take the top to a 5 gallon bucket and sit the waterer on this. I"m not sure how you've set it up!

Last edited:
I put the chick waterers on a hardware cloth platform. This keeps the bedding out of the water and if there should be any drips it stays confined to the bedding underneath and not where the chicks can get into it.

2009%20Sandhill%20chicks-01.jpg

There you go! I hope my nipple waterers don't drip but I have just ordered the nipples so haven't had a chance to test them out yet. I'm just thinking that the chicks using the waterer might make a couple of drips per drink and how much does that add up? At any rate, I have some lightweight hardware cloth, wood scraps, and a staple gun so I'm glad there is a simple solution if I find that there is a bit of sogginess there.

Back
Top Bottom