There are shows, and then there are shows...

Quote:
Oh, I agree - no way you could do it for every bird without adding a lot more judges - and that would be expensive. (I have done judging of similar types of competitions, so I am VERY sympathetic to how hard it is to make these judgements all day!) But, you could, for example, do it for special occasions, like the aforementioned National Championship meet, and do it just for the birds winning the championship titles. If you're working with classes of 50 birds, then the winner can feel pretty confident he's got something, but if you're working in a small breed and awarding National Championships when you're working with only 5 or so birds to choose from in the classes, then the point totals would be critical to ensure clear communication about whether that year's winners really were All That.

Good Evening,
smile.png

Just take a look at the quality of the birds, thier breeding background, the reputation of the breeder, thier web site capabilities, and quit possibly means of communications that are always left open and ways of communications as well. Kinda should tell a person the upstanding integrity and abilities of thier stock owners. If someone feels they are not show quality, then I suggest they buy elsewhere, otherwise, the term "SHOW QUALITY" does NOT necessarily mean they are world champions, it simply means they are of high quality... SHOW QUALITY.... Thanks for your input.
smile.png

John

Quote:
But as was discussed in this thread there are APA shows and then there are the county fair type shows that often times have birds that win that are no where near what the APA standard calls for. To me it makes a great difference what kind of show the birds have won at.

I agree with you up to the point of knowing what it is particularly you are looking for in a certain breed, As for us, we know the standards and rely strictly on the pics available and the validity of the breeder drawn from for our own decision. Guess its just a toss-up of knowledge over reality?
John

This reminds me so much of people defending hatchery quality birds. They always show their evidence in "their Cochin winning Reserve or Grand Champion" - At such and such fair or 4-H showing.
roll.png

Well guess what? I see people entering Easter Eggers and calling them Araucanas. . . And winning!!
barnie.gif
- Because often at fairs and 4-H competitions, the judges don't know squat.

Last edited:
Quote:
I have to say at our county fair/ show we use APA licensed judges and we tell them that we show by the ASOP.
One year we had close to 30 EE's was in the Ameraucana class, just as fast as they brought them up to the table the judge would sent them back to there cage telling them they have a EE and not a Ameraucana.

Chris

Well I feel as it is to be expected from some folks lacking the knowledge, care and/or concern of knowing show quality stock when presented. This stock along with all here, are definately not hatchery quality. But, lacking the common knowledge to know the difference will be at the ignorants cost. Kinda makes you wish some of the so called "judges" were a little more up on thier knowledge and jobs. Thanks,
smile.png

John

I'm sure this will come off as rude, but here goes anyway. I have looked at the pictures of your birds. Your one BLRW rooster has way too much gold/brassiness in his hackle and saddle feathers, the other has more than I would keep too, but doesn't look as bad. At least 2 of your hens look to have single combs, which in case you aren't aware of it, is not the standard for the breed. I don't know that much about silkies, australorps or BC Marans so I'm not going to comment on those. Some of your buff orps look like some RIRxbuff orps I used to have, are you sure they're pure?

Quote:
I have to say at our county fair/ show we use APA licensed judges and we tell them that we show by the ASOP.
One year we had close to 30 EE's was in the Ameraucana class, just as fast as they brought them up to the table the judge would sent them back to there cage telling them they have a EE and not a Ameraucana.

Chris

Same here The judges at our fair are APA licensed. And the Guy that runs the 4-H show Shows his Birds at APA sactioned shows around the west
Along with guy that runs the whole poulrty show.

When I was a kid and showed some chickens I got nothing because they basically were EEs It hurt but I learned.

Quote:
You're absolutely right Kathy & I'm glad theyare selling "Buff Orpies" because those certainly aren't Orpingtons.

Back
Top Bottom