There has to be a thread for incubator recs...

Oh dear, they're on their side, like they would be lying in the nest waiting for a full clutch to form. It's got to be ok, mommas don't leave them round end up...

Any suggestions for an egg candler? I'll have some of those babies that have the suuuuper dark brown eggs.
They should also be turned twice a day as well as large end up pointed end down for storing until you put them in incubator. Best to store them in cool place 50 to 55 degrees is best. I just use old egg carton to store and lean it a little sideways and just tilt it other direction for turning.

They should also be turned twice a day as well as large end up pointed end down for storing until you put them in incubator. Best to store them in cool place 50 to 55 degrees is best. I just use old egg carton to store and lean it a little sideways and just tilt it other direction for turning.
I've heard that turning isn't necessary until they are incubated. I can understand why you might want to turn though, so using either method shouldn't be an issue.

I have always turned my stored eggs and all info I have read says it's to keep yolk from sticking to eggshell for best results, same reason for turning during incubation. But there are always methods others use. I just always do everything possible to get better hatch rates.

Thanks all! Roux was young and enthsiastic, but I'm not sure he was all that successful in his attempts. :p I'll go get an egg carton and store the eggies fat end up until Thursday.

Last edited:
they're on their side, like they would be lying in the nest waiting for a full clutch to form. It's got to be ok, mommas don't leave them round end up...
We are not Momma hens. A poultry science professor that specializes in poultry reproduction (and has raised chickens for show and bred some interesting chickens) said the broody hens can do a better job than we can. The way I look at it they know more about it by instinct than mankind will ever know, even if they are first time pullets.

According to the experts the eggs don't really need to be turned the first three or four days they are stored. After that turning helps. They need to be turned during the first two weeks of incubation, after that turning won't hurt the embryo but after 14 days of incubation with chickens eggs you really don't have to. Turning not only helps keep the yolk or developing embryo from settling to touch the inside of the shell where it can become stuck but it helps body parts form in the right spots and distributes some liquids inside the egg during incubation.

You want to store and incubate them fat side up (where the air cell is) or laying flat. You do not want to store or incubate them pointy side up, you can dislodge the air cell or mess up where the chick pips. If they are fat side up they need to turn through abut 90 degrees at least three times a day, more is better. If they are laying flat they need to roll over 180 degrees. A common way to manage that is to put on "x" on one side and an "o" on the other so you can tell where 180 degrees is.

If you get an incubator with an automatic turner (preferred by me) just do what it says. Some rock them back and forth with wide side up, some roll the eggs.

Any suggestions for an egg candler? I'll have some of those babies that have the suuuuper dark brown eggs.
Those dark brown and the green eggs can be really hard to see inside. I use an LED flashlight (can't remember how many lumens but a lot) and have a lot of trouble seeing much in my green eggs. I hold the light up to the egg in a really dark room and can kind of tell if it is developing around seven days. At 18 days to go into lockdown I'm mainly just looking for a dark mass and the air cell or if it is clear.

A really bright light and a holder that traps all the light under the egg in a very dark room gives you the best chance to see something.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Haaaaaalp! That went better than expected! I will have babies in 17 days! OMG. Eeep! What do I need to know? I've never done this before! It's 10 degrees outside?? (I could have planned better, but I was trying to save the genes of the roo who got killed. I didn't have much choice.)

😅😅😅😅😅😅

Haaaaaalp! That went better than expected! I will have babies in 17 days! OMG. Eeep! What do I need to know? I've never done this before! It's 10 degrees outside?? (I could have planned better, but I was trying to save the genes of the roo who got killed. I didn't have much choice.)

😅😅😅😅😅😅
As long as you keep the temperature at 99.5, and humidity at 40-50% your all good! Is very exciting! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom