There he was bold as brass

Quote:
Yeah we'd have to get a gun licence and take some shooting lessons... not in the budget right now! but preventative measures until we can get a gun is it.

Are you allowed a bow with arrows??????

Gotta stop him now!!!!!!!!!!!

Modern bows are easy to shoot and very deadly with a broad head tip.

I believe you need some sort of licence for that too, I don't know...theres bow hunting here so I'll have to look into it. For now I think we'll try to catch it and get one of the local farmers to shoot it.

Back in Texas, if we saw a raccoon out during the day it was automatically shot and the head sent for rabies testing. It is not normal for this to be out. Can you call animal control, I would be very suspicious of rabies, be sure your animals are up to date on shots, it is nothing to mess with.

annek, we have seen it before..usually at dusk crossing the pasture but this was broad daylight ...when he was up at the house I watched him for a bit and I can definitely tell its the same coon... I am worried about the rabies because our dogs haven't had their shots yet, we have the 5 so the cost is pretty intense.

I just checked our townships website and found their animal control officer, and i'll get mum to call them tomorrow. i'm worried about animal control though, they'll have to put out traps and we do have feral kitties that roam and will probably be found in the trap.

Last edited:
Quote:
A little reminder from the rule section is in order:

*Dealing with predators and pests is not always pleasant. Although sometimes hard to do, please be as sensitive as possible when explaining procedures and results. Some younger members and/or squeamish adults will appreciate it.

*Although some ways are not considered ideal to some, it serves the purpose of removing the offending predator. If you have an idea or a helpful comment, please do reply. If it is a sarcastic comment about the disposal or capture of a predator, please keep your thoughts to yourself. We are not here to judge one another on methods or ways and means.

If you can't handle the realities of dealing with predator disposal then stay out of the P&P section.

Just make sure the trap fits the trashcan! I found out the hard way with a coon in the trap. Another option is to find a local pond (tie a rope to the trap) done deal! For those who think relocate is an option, the local coon hunters stated that the range of an adult is easily 10-12 miles. I did relocate one, but he better be a good swimmer as I deposited him in the next county in a park, across a major river. From now on, it's the last stop at the all night chicken buffet.

Quote:
With a coon being around in broad daylight I would suspect it was rabid and would be GLAD that the feral kitties were taken away as well because they could easily be rabid as well. You mentioned that your dogs were not vaccinated against the virus, perhaps it is time that gets remedied? Rabies is not something that you want to risk having around!

Ohhh no! Our ferals were from the humane society, they have been fixed, rabies shots, etc. All that. We didn't have any barn cats and we had a mouse problem which with the aid of the ferals from the humane society and our house cat, we hardly have any mice (although im sure we still do have mice) lol.

We called the "Animal Control Officer" for our town, but apparently unlike our old town this is not a free service you pay for with your taxes... For now he's going to have to stay, we just don't have the money. For now I'm going to advertise on kijiji and see if I can borrow someones trap locally and dispose of him.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom