There is something wrong with my hen.

Looks like fresh bruise and some swelling.
I'd let her rest in a crate.

Here's my notes on that:
Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

If limp is really bothering them by inhibiting their normal activities too much, I will isolate them in a crate to 'force' rest for a day or two. Letting them out late in day, an hour before roost time, to give them a stretch and evaluate their mobility, then decide if they need another day and put them back in crate off roost after dark. Repeat stretch and eval the next day until they are better. Keep crate in coop so bird can remain 'with' the flock.
She doesn’t use her leg at all when she’s moving around she jumps on one foot. Could I let her rest in a large dog kennel? Cleaning out her kennel everyday? I don’t have any hay for bedding at the moment but I’ll see if I can get my dad to get some. So all I need to do is let her out and hour or so before the hens roost and see how she does? And if she’s not doing good put her back into the kennel? I put the goats outside in their fence cause they don’t care if she’s sitting on the ground they walk right on top of her.

I agree, she's got a lot of bruising. Hopefully the foot is not broken, I would let her take it easy. It sounds like she is self limiting her activity.

Ahhh...you have goats, I wonder if her foot was stepped on.
That’s what my mom thinks. And I wouldn’t be surprised they are very re less. How can you know if it’s broken?

That’s what my mom thinks. And I wouldn’t be surprised they are very re less. How can you know if it’s broken?
An Xray would show any breaks.
I've only dealt with broken toes and those were obvious (gone crooked).
I think I would just keep watch on her and see how it goes. See that she's eating/drinking well.
If she's picked on, then consider caging her for protection.

An Xray would show any breaks.
I've only dealt with broken toes and those were obvious (gone crooked).
I think I would just keep watch on her and see how it goes. See that she's eating/drinking well.
If she's picked on, then consider caging her for protection.
She was the bossy one. But there are two that take advantage of her no being able to walk. But my grey hen seems to leave her alone.

Could I let her rest in a large dog kennel?
Yes. Did you open the link I posted?
Cleaning out her kennel everyday?
Yes, as necessary. Easier to do if you can put mesh on the bottom like shown in link.
I don’t have any hay for bedding at the moment but I’ll see if I can get my dad to get some.
You don't have hay and/or straw for the goats?
So all I need to do is let her out and hour or so before the hens roost and see how she does?
Yes.
And if she’s not doing good put her back into the kennel?
Yes.
I put the goats outside in their fence cause they don’t care if she’s sitting on the ground they walk right on top of her.
See answers comments in quote

Back
Top Bottom