There's alot of free meat out there

Status
Not open for further replies.
JJ
It IS a joke, and that's a bit of the problem, right? Humor is inherently critical (even puns are largely a criticism of language), there's no non critical jokes in the world, and this is only funny because it's critical of people's reactions to death or dead/unwanted chickens. That's how gallows humor works, it's funny BECAUSE it's messed up to be so callous, and because of that it's often VERY personal.
(Examples abound; Friend falls and is unharmed = funny! Friend falls and DIES = Funny? Maybe not, but maybe?)

Obviously being critical of people for humor isn't inherently bad by any means. But probably not nearly as OK to crack jokes at people who already feel bad, vulnerable, and/or you want to get something from them?
And this is an "ADVERTISEMENT" at that. Nothing says "Give me free stuff!" like "Haha! Your discomfort is so funny!".

So OP'll get chickens from people who just can't be bothered or aren't bothered. But not from a whole swath of the rest of the free chicken market who will just be extra grossed out or maybe since this is their only interaction they may wonder if he's going to 'care' for the birds the way he 'cares' for those people he's upsetting.

And if that doesn't matter to the OP - and he's said that upsetting people doesn't - then he's welcome to carry on. But the boorish humor becomes deliberate not ignorant then, and I am just more than done with all that noise. Being mean is boring and easy and there are just so many better and more clever ways of handling things.

Hmm. I guess... if I saw two ads from two different companies, both wanting my excess roos for the same purpose.... and one guy had this "funny" ad with the chopped chicken head on it, and the other guy had a more tasteful ad of, say, a dressed-out bird, making it equally clear that the fate of the roo was not going to be a life of happy retirement but rather early usefulness as a meat product - and I had to choose between the two - I would go with the latter. Why? Because the second showed compassion and respect toward both my sensitivities and the animal. The first is like yahoo, I get to kill your rooster, I'm a bludgering maniac with an axe! The second is, killing is necessary, this is a food product but we respect life and treat death with dignity. Like some of our ancestors did.

But yeah, that's just me.

@ChocolateMouse If I saw this add in my local News Paper's Classified Ads, I would be appalled and contact the Editor to see if the Staff had lost their minds!
Here were anonymity can prompt people to post all kinds of crazy stuff, I Knew it was a Joke, tasteless as it may be. I didn't have much of a response either way. I wasn't Rolling on the Floor Laughing, or Burst into tears envisioning my Favorite Roo's Head by the Ax...JJ

Last edited:
@ChocolateMouse If I saw this add in my local News Paper's Classified Ads, I would be appalled and contact the Editor to see if the Staff had lost their minds!
Here were anonymity can prompt people to post all kinds of crazy stuff, I Knew it was a Joke, tasteless as it may be. I didn't have much of a response either way. I wasn't Rolling on the Floor Laughing, or Burst into tears envisioning my Favorite Roo's Head by the Ax.

I can't help but curious about people's Sensitivity Level these days? This is in no way a reflection of your reaction to the post so Please don't take this wrong be insulted. It's just one Old Guys observation.

In High School or College, if some IDIOT made a crack about your Weight, Hair, Clothes or whatever, he got a Pop in the Mouth and he coward away never making THAT Mistake again.
NOW! If the same thing happens, the College Student recipient, bursts into Tears, Reaches for their Certified Sensitivity Animal, to Hug and Stroke, while being Carried to the School's Dedicated, " Judgement Free, SAFE ROOM "!!! After hours of uncontroled Sobbing, they are Rushed to an Emergency Counseling Session with their, long time Shrink and are given 10mg Valium to calm down while they are told to repeat their Self Affirmation Mantra!
I just don't understand what Happened. Participation Trophies and Not Keeping Score in Sports, could Not have inflicted all that Damage...JJ

Oh please. That old boys generation couldn't handle drinking at the same water fountain as black people and STILL can't handle boys in makeup. Please clutch your pearls over kids these days elsewhere. :p

Drinking with Black People? I grew up in JERSEY! My neighborhood was a mix of multiple Ethnicities and Races. My Prom Date was beautiful girl of Color! Granted, Her parents were not crazy about their daughter dating a White Boy, but they got over it when they saw I treated her like the Princess she was.
Boys in make up? RUPAUL'S Dragrace is never missed in my house. Talented, Funny, Beautiful Women, regardless of Genetics, is great entertainment!

Hey...How Emotionally Fragile and Self Entitled folks want to raise their kids, is their business.
Does our Military issue " BOO BOO BUNNIES " with the M4 Carbine?...JJ:bun:lau

Oh geeze, you're so defensive. It's almost like you're upset about being generalized by how people view your generation and how they thoughtlessly apply it to you. It sounds like maybe you need a gun to hold to feel better? Somewhere to complain about all those soft entitled kids with people your age? Somewhere you feel safer to express those opinions without getting called out? Man I wonder what you'd call a place like that. ;) A hardware store maybe. Or a gentlemens club. Maybe a church.

It almost sounded like you think generations are made of people who think and have experiences or something and not sterotypes. :) But that would make your first post inherently inappropriate so that can't be it, right?

I'm feeling very reassured that it's just younger people than you who are sensitive. And Old Guys are definitely not sensitive too. :)

I agree with you! I just don't think life and death should be made a joke... It is a pretty big sacrifice that animals pay to feed us, and I believe they should be treated with a due amount of respect...

Part of that respect should be their living conditions and the way they die. I eat meat and I feed my dogs and cat a raw diet. So many people put their energy in protesting things like jokes or whatever...put the enegry into changing things to more humane husbandry and humane and stress free (as much as possible) slaughter.

I guess I'm insensitive...I found the joke funny.

What do I think?
I think the basic idea of getting food from unwanted animals is great. Lotsa people do it.
I think the ad is tasteless. And I eat my chickens regularly.
But it seems like that's precisely the sort of indignant reaction you'd hope to get from an ad like this. You even admit that plenty of people dislike you - so what's one more group? Gotta show some gore and teach those Lilly Livers a lesson a bout life! Brutal honesty! And hey, causing division and having people support you is a helluva drug.

Personally, I got bored with brutal honesty ages ago. Where's your compassionate honesty? Your thoughtful honesty? Your respectful honesty? Heck even PLAIN honesty ("I will take your extra birds and turn them into food for my family.") is just fine. There's plenty of ways to be honest without deliberately trying to be reactionary IMO and they're far more effective.

For example, since you're a stranger and some people really DON'T care, all I know about you is you're happy to make jokes about dead animals and show me images of decapitated chickens and freezers. Given that, I wouldn't send my extras your way out of concern that they'd be treated less than what I'd prefer during their stay (however brief) with you, and I think most people who own accidental extra roosters are likely more squeamish than me not less (since if you participate in activities that deliberately produce roosters you're likely to already know most will be eaten or culled).

If I were making an ad for this and trying to reach all those people with accidental roos, I'd probably be plain about my intentions and also show the conditions my grow out pens were and how I care for them to show that they'd have a nice stay while they were here. And then explain my years of experience processing birds so that they'd know I could be professional about it. For many of us the motto is just one bad day.

But as stated there are absolutely people who don't care, or who think brutal honesty is better than regular kind, or who like jokes about dead chickens, and just wanna get rid of their extras, especially when it comes to older hens in intensive production scenarios instead of young accidental roos, and will probably give em to you anyhow... So. *shrug* Whatever floats your goat I guess.

But you deliberately asked for responses and that's mine. It just strikes me as boorish.

Like this post. Thanks for verbalizing much of what I think as well.

I have absolutely no problem with taking birds for meat. I also don’t have any problem with your ad, if someone doesn’t like it they don’t have to call you.

However, it does bother me when people don’t give respect to where another person is at in their journey. It’s a selfish viewpoint. We all started somewhere. We all have things we “know” more than others, and I find it sort of rude and tasteless to say “yeah, lady, I’ve got a nice home for your bird.” There are plenty of people all around you disconnected from their food sources, let’s not take it out on the sweet lady who didn’t understand her contributions to the overall situation as she is desperately trying to rehome her pet.

We are all here to share information and if you don’t think you are a taker of information around here, too, what are you really doing here?

I like what @ChocolateMouse said about compassionate honesty. And I personally feel that bringing other people down is such a waste of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom