There's no place like home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP w
Thursday I re-homed 5 Mallards to a lake about 10 miles from my house. 3 drakes and 2 hens. The drakes were being aggressive, so something had to be done.
I let them go on the edge of the lake. They flew up and out over the lake, going in different directions. I said good bye. I drove home. This afternoon, I heard a loud quaking in the yard. One of the hens returned home. She is now contentedly resting, after a long drink and snack. I'll take good care of her if she stays the winter (northern PA). Should I expect to see some of her clan arrive back too?View attachment 2349513
Where did you get these Mallards?

Thursday I re-homed 5 Mallards to a lake about 10 miles from my house. 3 drakes and 2 hens. The drakes were being aggressive, so something had to be done.
I let them go on the edge of the lake. They flew up and out over the lake, going in different directions. I said good bye. I drove home. This afternoon, I heard a loud quaking in the yard. One of the hens returned home. She is now contentedly resting, after a long drink and snack. I'll take good care of her if she stays the winter (northern PA). Should I expect to see some of her clan arrive back too?View attachment 2349513
it's not re-homeing if they are/were yours it's dumping

@Duck mommy 2019 is completely right that know longer have there wild instincts and will not migrate they are domestic Mallards, they may look the same as wild Mallards but they are not.
They will die out in the wild! Can they fly? If they can fly they can't fend of them selves! You DUMPED them! In most areas it is illegal to dump ducks and you have just done this!

I have to agree as well. Even if they're somehow able to survive on their own, you bought/adopted them so decided to become responsible for them. It would then be also your responsibility to find a home (where they continue to get a level of care comperable to what they've had their entire lives), not drop them off near some water and drive off. Sounds like the definition of dumping to me. It saddens me how quick some people are to toss away living creatures the moment they get a bit nippy or don't behave perfectly. :(

On the subject of "can the ducks fly?" I've never found a mallard, wild or tame, that couldn't fly, unless someone clipped its wings. My parents bought some from TSC years ago. Those ducks, and their descendants, migrate every winter and come back every summer. At one point, the flock was up to nearly forty ducks. Now it's composed of about thirteen, mostly male. I'm pretty sure that wild mallards are genetically the same as tame, and have the same instincts.

That said, these ones will have a tougher time surviving in the wild because they haven't been raised there, and haven't been taught safe behaviours by a parent duck. I suspect about half of these ones will be eaten by something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom