These EGGS are gonna be the DEATH of ME!!

crazypoultrychx

Chirping
6 Years
May 13, 2013
New Orleans LA
I have 10 turkey and 2 doz chicken eggs that are WAY overdue in my lil giant still air bator....I candleded them at 14 days and all was good.....event went so far as to water candel them day before yesterday....they are in my laundry room away from drafts ect...and today is WEDS they were DUE LAST SATURDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Had to laugh at the movie quote your post brought to mind. It's from Willy Wonka (the Gene Wilder version) and goes something like this:

Kid: The suspense is killing me!

WW: I hope it lasts.

Good luck with your hatch, it sounds very exciting (egg-citing?). Let us know when you get some little ones!

I hope I'm not sounding harsh with this question, I am sincerely curious to know at what point do you give up? I will be making my first attempt to hatch some incubated eggs soon. I would be crazy by now. I about lost my mind waiting for my first broody hatch. I knew it was not hatch day till Friday, but that Monday before I could hardly leave the momma alone. Took great strength. I bet not being able to open the incubator and at least check the egg is nerve racking. Good luck and hope you post soon about new fuzzy butts.
fl.gif
I have heard some hatch as late as day 25.

Last edited:
If they were due Saturday, that would make it, day 25. If there were no pips I would definitely candle, maybe even water candle if none were internally pipped. I know nothing about turkey eggs, but the chicken eggs are far enough past the due date to believe there's a good chance something went wrong. If candling/water candling didn't show any signs of life I would put a hole in the air cell and check for movement, (I just stick my little finger in there and feel the membrane for the chick.) You should pretty much know then if there is any hope. I always say give them to day 25. My first hatch I had one chick that hatched and survived early on day 24. He's a sweetheart. He's almost 5 months now, but as he's gotten older and bigger, I can see, what I believe to be, effects of the late developement and hatch, so I wouldn't push it much past day 25.

Last edited:
99.5 to 100.5 never more then one degree in 26 days
Regardless of what the manufacture info says, still air bators should be ran at 101-102 degrees for the incubation. I don't know why they insist on putting 99.5 in their instructions as 99.5 is what forced air should be at not still. Next time you incubate try the temps at 101-102 and look into the dry incubation method as well (for chicks). I use the dry incubation and many people that use the styrofoam bators have switched to that method and have gotten much better results.

My first hatch was awful. I relied on one thermometer and since it was brand new, I never checked it against any others. That's the one I got just the one 4 days late. (I had a hatcher the next day, but he didn't make it.) After I checked the thermometer and it ended up being 6 degrees off. Now I use 3 thermometers. I plan to get the egg o meter for my next hatch hopefully. Also, the thermometers made in the bators are also known to be wrong as well. So no one should ever trust them either if they haven't been tested against a reliable thermometer.

oh no.........AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom