These huge eggs

Sammster

Crowing
Jul 31, 2021
SE Michigan
So ~ this has been happening, lately. Can't even fit them into an egg carton. Just one of my girls
20230810_195059.jpg

No, just singles. This particular egg was rather thin-shelled, and cracked as I was washing it. The dogs enjoyed it
Wow! Is she a new layer?
If she keeps laying these and they have thin shells I recommend adding more calcium to her diet.

Those are HUGE. If you get another can you take a photo with it next to a normal egg?

Wow! Is she a new layer?
If she keeps laying these and they have thin shells I recommend adding more calcium to her diet.

Those are HUGE. If you get another can you take a photo with it next to a normal egg?
She's not new. I have a few girls with reproductive issues, sadly. If this is the hen I'm thinking it is, she has always laid large eggs. But that one ^ was the largest. I did take a side-by-side of her previous giant egg. It was slightly smaller than the one above. Also not a double yolker - lots of extra white.
Since this started, I've added oyster shell flakes, alongside the regular oyster shell crumbles, as well as egg shells. Lots of options. I had been mixing some into their food, but was cautioned against that - so I stopped. Maybe I could offer yogurt? Or... is it spinach that has calcium?
Most of her large eggs aren't so fragile that they'll break. But I have another girl with a shell gland issue who continually lays fragile eggs. And one who has expelled lash material, three times now.

received_648873850305550.jpeg

Last edited:
She's not new. I have a few girls with reproductive issues, sadly. If this is the hen I'm thinking it is, she has always laid large eggs. But that one ^ was the largest. I did take a side-by-side of her previous giant egg. It was slightly smaller than the one above. Also not a double yolker - lots of extra white.
Since this started, I've added oyster shell flakes, alongside the regular oyster shell crumbles, as well as egg shells. Lots of options. I had been mixing some into their food, but was cautioned against that - so I stopped. Maybe I could offer yogurt? Or... is it spinach that has calcium?
Most of her large eggs aren't so fragile that they'll break. But I have another girl with a shell gland issue who continually lays fragile eggs. And one who has expelled lash material, three times now.

View attachment 3607017
It sounds like you are doing everything right. I'm not sure about the spinach-yogurt thing, though.
I had problems with thin shelled eggs in my quail and I started providing crushed eggshells and shell grit along with calcium dusted crickets. It obviously wasn't a reproductive issue because that fixed it.
I mix a bit of calcium dust in with their layer feed, so I hope that's not a problem..

So ~ this has been happening, lately. Can't even fit them into an egg carton. Just one of my girlsView attachment 3605950
Looks like my Rebecca's eggs. She is 2 1/2 yrs old and has always laid like that, only once a double yolker. I keep a bottle of calcium citrate with D3 outside the coop and give her one every so often. But it's the size of them that concerns me. She is one of my best little hunters and free ranging I wonder if she is getting too much protein, and if that would cause it?

Attachments

• 20230314_084806.jpg
    20230314_084806.jpg
    655.7 KB · Views: 6
Looks like my Rebecca's eggs. She is 2 1/2 yrs old and has always laid like that, only once a double yolker. I keep a bottle of calcium citrate with D3 outside the coop and give her one every so often. But it's the size of them that concerns me. She is one of my best little hunters and free ranging I wonder if she is getting too much protein, and if that would cause it?
I have a bottle of CC & D in the coop, as well 🙂

Back
Top Bottom