They are here!!!! My 12 new little babies!!!

lizakn

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 19, 2012
Carlingford, NB Canada
Our chicks have arrived! I picked them up this morning at our local Co-op. I think they love the camera already lol
They are eating & drinking very well!...and seem to be quite happy :)

When they're first born, their poop will be green. Since you got your chicks from the feedstore, they are probably a couple days old already and their poop is most likely going to be brown with a little bit of white. The white is their pee. The "foamy" poop that you are seeing is called cecal poop and it is normal, usually it is expelled every 8 poops or so.

You may also notice some poop stuck on their vent (butt). Wet a paper towel with warm water and wipe the poop off. Be very gently as you don't want to tear their delicate skin. After they are a week old you shouldn't have to worry about pasty butt anymore.

Definitaly raise the heat lamp if they appear to be too hot.

Good luck with them, they're adorable!

They are lovely; welcme to the world of Chicken Crazy. We have 32 coming in 32 days; got to get busy with their coop and run. Congratulations.

I have a question though-- is it normal for chicks
to have "foamy poop" when they are 1st born?
They are just Day Old chicks...& I have noticed
(and can hear) foam like poop. Any info would
be great!
They are doing really well! As soon as I showed
Them their water & food they started eating right away!
They are even playing with each other...its so
Cute!
I think the lamp might be too warm for them though,
because they keep sleeping away from it. So
perhaps I'll move it up a bit :)

When they're first born, their poop will be green. Since you got your chicks from the feedstore, they are probably a couple days old already and their poop is most likely going to be brown with a little bit of white. The white is their pee. The "foamy" poop that you are seeing is called cecal poop and it is normal, usually it is expelled every 8 poops or so.

You may also notice some poop stuck on their vent (butt). Wet a paper towel with warm water and wipe the poop off. Be very gently as you don't want to tear their delicate skin. After they are a week old you shouldn't have to worry about pasty butt anymore.

Definitaly raise the heat lamp if they appear to be too hot.

Good luck with them, they're adorable!

I was eating a scone when I read this (by mistake!)
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom