They are in, please help identify

GiddyMoon

Songster
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
Tucson, AZ
I ordered a Meyer Rainbow Pullet Pack & they came in a day early, this morning! Everyone is very lively..acting like chickens..but I though I would get some help in trying to identify. Meyer says they ship at least 5 different breeds of their most asked for good to heavy layers...white & colored egg hens, can also include more than 5 and rare varieties..I also have a "meal maker" free chick in this batch...

These pics are with my phone..so not the best quality but you can still see everyone

In the box

86660_chicks-box.jpg

Temp brooder

86660_chicks-box2.jpg

86660_chickbox-3.jpg

86660_chickbox-4.jpg

Puffy cheeks, brown face, small black splotch on back pic 1

86660_chickbox-5.jpg

Same chick back pic 2

86660_chickbox-6.jpg

86660_chickbox-7.jpg

86660_chickbox-8.jpg

86660_chickbox-10.jpg

A few sleeping

86660_chickbox-9.jpg

86660_chickbox-11.jpg

86660_chickbox-12.jpg

White Leghorn..something else?

86660_chickbox-13.jpg

86660_chickbox-14.jpg

86660_chickbox-15.jpg

Are these EE or are these Brown Leghorn???

86660_chickbox-16.jpg

No idea..

86660_chickbox-17.jpg

86660_chickbox-18.jpg

This little chick in the last 3 pics is a loner...the sweetest thing! So docile and just loves to be held..chirps away so happy like. She has tan, redish brown and what looks to be like a slate grey blue on her as well.

86660_chickbox-19.jpg

86660_chickbox-20.jpg

86660_chickbox-21.jpg

..thank you!

Last edited:
sunny & the 5 egg layers :

The black ones look like Barred Rock and Black Australorps. Not too sure about the others. Congratulations on the chicks!
yippiechickie.gif

Can you see both kind or are you having a hard time like me figuring which one it is?
hu.gif

So many look so different..but so much alike at the same time!
sickbyc.gif

Does the hatchery have chick identification photos on their website? If you go to youtube and type in barred rock chick and dominique chick you will see a video on how to tell the difference- they are both black with white-ish dots. I think the hatchery with the videos is mcmurray, and I know that different hatchery's chicks may vary a little in looks. so I dunno.

I am new to chickens so I don't know what other chicks are black with light dots on the head. Maybe it's any breed with a barred variety? It would hard to tell the breed then.
hmm.png
This could also be true for any breed with the "partridge" coloring- could look like my partridge rock babies. I am hoping a more experienced person can help or answer this question.

Here is a photo of a rose comb brown leghorn ( on the left) next to a partridge rock chick (right).
spring2011048.jpg

Here you can see a few of my chicks. Breeds are in my sig line. Brown leghorn with chipmunk-ish stripes/eyeliner is clearly visible. She's the one about to duck under the ecoglow brooder. (could that be GUYliner though? The other 3 were much more feathered out even at 2 days old. You can see the difference in the wings if you compare with the other leghorn in the above photo)
spring2011046.jpg

Partridge rock hens are on top of brooder and coming out from under, you can see a brown leghorn about to duck under, and a dominique chick.
spring2011045.jpg

Off-Grid, that was a good post, thank you. They are so much alike, yet different..then chicks within the same breed can look different..so confusing. I will keep watching and maybe I will get it ..and I will go look for the videos now..thank you!

The bird on the left (9th photo from the top) looks a lot like my black australorp did when it was a chick. (I can post pics if you'd like) And the chick on the left in the same photo is a barred rock (white spot on its head). I hope this helped!

sunny & the 5 egg layers :

The bird on the left (9th photo from the top) looks a lot like my black australorp did when it was a chick. (I can post pics if you'd like) And the chick on the left in the same photo is a barred rock (white spot on its head). I hope this helped!

Thank you..I was also watching the videos on how to tell the barred rocks from the Dominique..I put those two in the photo becuase even though they look the same..they don't
roll.png
The the video said the Dominique would not have yellow..only white and white tips on the wings. I have 10 black chicks..and I do believe they are probably 2-3 different breeds. Not all have a spot on their head, not all have white tipped wings, ..this is enough to drive someone batty
idunno.gif

ANd I would love to see your pictures..thank you!​

Back
Top Bottom