They are taking my chickens away.

chick-adee

Chirping
Apr 15, 2015
Might be back...
I live in the suburbs, and I was told that you could have up to 6 chickens. I started with chickens two years ago, and have lived happily with 4. A zoning officer saw my chickens, and told me that I have ten days to get my chickens out of here. Apparently there was a hearing, and it was ruled that you couldn't have chickens where I live, a couple years ago. I know someone, who can take them, but still. They are my chickens!!! I can't let them go!
hit.gif

barnie.gif
barnie.gif
Whyyyy???
barnie.gif
barnie.gif

I am so angry. My chickens are the best chickens anyone could have. It makes me so mad that they don't realize that. The neighbors love them, and so does my family. I have an Aunt who comes over just to hug them, and is always buying them treats. She doesn't know yet.

Go to your town hall and ask to see a copy of the hearing where that was changed. Don't take "no" for an answer - as a citizen you have every right to see it and they have to provide it as a matter of public record. It's the law. Then make it clear that your chickens were present before that ruling was passed and as such should be grandfathered in. That's where you start. As I see it you have two choices.....you can either get mad and complain about it - and not a soul blames you for that, believe me! - or you can become proactive and do everything legally possible to get that grandfathered.

Just a question - when you were told you could have 6 chickens, did someone just tell you that or did you get that from a city official? If so, do you remember who you talked to and approximately when? You can also ask for a copy of the original regulation that the new rule changed so you are armed with both the old from when you got your chickens, and the new. See if that new ordinance specifically says anything that means that any chickens kept in the neighborhood before that date must be removed, or does it just say, "chickens are not allowed" or some such that would mean that new chickens cannot be brought in. And word of advice from a former city official.....as frustrating as it is, how you present yourself and your argument is important. So lose your cool here on the forum, but not within the walls of town hall. Good luck.

There is one chance. The law says that we can have up to three domestic house animals. We have a dog, but if we argued saying that chickens are domestic, and showed chicken diapers and so forth, they might let us keep two. But I don't think I want to separate them!

Go to your town hall and ask to see a copy of the hearing where that was changed. Don't take "no" for an answer - as a citizen you have every right to see it and they have to provide it as a matter of public record. It's the law. Then make it clear that your chickens were present before that ruling was passed and as such should be grandfathered in. That's where you start. As I see it you have two choices.....you can either get mad and complain about it - and not a soul blames you for that, believe me! - or you can become proactive and do everything legally possible to get that grandfathered.

Just a question - when you were told you could have 6 chickens, did someone just tell you that or did you get that from a city official? If so, do you remember who you talked to and approximately when? You can also ask for a copy of the original regulation that the new rule changed so you are armed with both the old from when you got your chickens, and the new. See if that new ordinance specifically says anything that means that any chickens kept in the neighborhood before that date must be removed, or does it just say, "chickens are not allowed" or some such that would mean that new chickens cannot be brought in. And word of advice from a former city official.....as frustrating as it is, how you present yourself and your argument is important. So lose your cool here on the forum, but not within the walls of town hall. Good luck.
I got my chickens after the trial. I was told by a family friend, who has chickens, that I could have up to six. That was two years ago. I think the trail was more like 4 or 5 years ago, but I'm not sure. I'll look that up.

I got my chickens after the trial. I was told by a family friend, who has chickens, that I could have up to six. That was two years ago. I think the trail was more like 4 or 5 years ago, but I'm not sure. I'll look that up.
In that case, I'm afraid you don't have a very good chance here. If there was a "no chickens' ordinance on the books, and you got chickens anyway, you are in direct violation. The argument about chickens being "domestic house animals" doesn't usually work. In the usual definition of house pets, those are animals which are commonly accepted as domestic pets. Chickens will almost always fall under "poultry and livestock."

I'm really sorry you are going through this. So many others have as well, and it stems from not researching the regulations before folks get chickens and get attached to them. When they get "caught", it seems to be blamed on the local officials instead of a lack of research on the part of the owner. Trying to get permission to do something when you've already shown that you are willing to ignore regulations is a tough sell. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom