They did NOT just eat that....

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by fishnet1971, Feb 10, 2012.

1. when i got home from work yesterday and went to check on the girls and 'Bird I saw them playing 'chicken foot ball' chasing one girl around grabbing the 'what ever it was' out of the beak and on and on... finally caught up with them and EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I grabbed what was left of a bird from her mouth!!!!!!! all that was left were two wings with feathers and a piece of skin. Yup it was a fresh kill as well.

gross girls gross......

2. and I mean a house bird, not chicken bird. From what was left I think it was a sparrow. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    I would have loved to have seen the catch! Mine have caught and eaten mice, frogs and snakes.

1 person likes this.
  4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Just one of the many reasons they will still be here and all humans are extinct. But, yea, gross girls.

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    That crazy rooster made 'em do it.

6. MrsMoonCat

MrsMoonCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Madera, CA
    My Andalusians are better mousers than the cats. Of course they always seem to wait until I am there to witness the grisly business.

7. kjfrogster41

kjfrogster41 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2011
    Belfast, ME
    Wow, mice? Will they also do rats or are those too large?

My girls won't even touch earthworms so downing a mouse seems way beyond their range of edible.
    [​IMG]

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Mine have eaten mice carcasses I've flung their way from the humane RatZapper unit (kills them immediately, no poison, no mayhem). I found half a sparrow in the run, one day, which one hen tried to keep away from me.

Now that there is no "run" I hope the sparrows have a better chance of escaping my velociraptors.

9. Hyline

Hyline Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    Western Australia
    I have seen one of my girls with a baby mouse she proudly displayed to me, and another with a small frog which she promptly ate whole lol. Then had to have a little rest [​IMG] lol. Mine are terrified of snakes and 'foreign birds' though lol.

10. MrsMoonCat

MrsMoonCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Madera, CA
    I haven't seen them with a rat, but I would imagine the birds would give it a run for its money. They are quite ferocious when it comes to the mice. I have saved frogs and toads from them, but I encourage the mousing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by