They did NOT just eat that....

fishnet1971

'Birds Momma
13 Years
May 25, 2010
'Bird 'n the Fluffy Butts coop in Ohio
when i got home from work yesterday and went to check on the girls and 'Bird I saw them playing 'chicken foot ball' chasing one girl around grabbing the 'what ever it was' out of the beak and on and on... finally caught up with them and EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I grabbed what was left of a bird from her mouth!!!!!!! all that was left were two wings with feathers and a piece of skin. Yup it was a fresh kill as well.

gross girls gross......

and I mean a house bird, not chicken bird. From what was left I think it was a sparrow.
tongue.gif

Wow, mice? Will they also do rats or are those too large?

My girls won't even touch earthworms so downing a mouse seems way beyond their range of edible.
pop.gif

Mine have eaten mice carcasses I've flung their way from the humane RatZapper unit (kills them immediately, no poison, no mayhem). I found half a sparrow in the run, one day, which one hen tried to keep away from me.

Now that there is no "run" I hope the sparrows have a better chance of escaping my velociraptors.

I have seen one of my girls with a baby mouse she proudly displayed to me, and another with a small frog which she promptly ate whole lol. Then had to have a little rest
roll.png
lol. Mine are terrified of snakes and 'foreign birds' though lol.

I haven't seen them with a rat, but I would imagine the birds would give it a run for its money. They are quite ferocious when it comes to the mice. I have saved frogs and toads from them, but I encourage the mousing.

Back
Top Bottom