They Just Won't Lay

austindon

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 21, 2013
I bought mature hens (4-8 months each) and have had them home since the first of August. The guy at the feed store said that I should have been seeing eggs by now, which was 3 weeks ago. He suggested to add dry cat food to the laying feed, which I did. Ha Ha, they absolutely love the cat food. I never knew cat food was 30% protein. So still now eggs. No butts in the air. No nuthin. But they are very fun and very happy. We let them free range and it is fun watching them dig up grass snakes who who knows what else. Interestingly, they don't like staying outside of their run for very long. They like their run.

Anyway, not sure what anyone can say about why ours are not laying. We live in Austin and the weather has been pleasant. They get shade and I have an outdoor fan that blows into the run. Part of the run has a tarp over it for shade.

Anyone else with non laying hens? We have a very cool rooster, but he does not ever crow. Funny how our flock is. But they are fun fun fun. Would not trade em for a second.

They might not be laying for these reasons: They might have a health issue, they might be hiding thier eggs in the yard, they may not have proper nurtrition, thier eggs might have been stolen by a pest, they might be moulting or have stopped laying to build up body reseves.
smile.png

Have you heard them do thier egg song?

No laying song. Feeding them good feed and keeping the water fresh. No eggs in the yard. Some has said that it has been just too hot here but we have had several good weeks of lower temperature. I guess they will when they are ready.

Back
Top Bottom