They need lights?

rechena

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 6, 2011
Portugal
Hi,
During the first couple of weeks we left the lights on inside the coop and our little hens were, after a week going inside all by them self's, well not every night, but almost.

But now, that we don't turn on the light, they just stay sleeping outside, like if they can't see the way home. If we light them the coop light they almost instantly go inside...

Any tips on what should i do?

They are 1.5month old... more or less...

Just turn on the light long enough to get them into the coop and then turn it off. You may need to close them in if they try to go back out before morning. They will eventually get the hang of it.
smile.png

Quote:
I believe that they won't leave I've checked... so do I have to do this every day? turn the lights on I mean? or eventually they learn to see when its time to "go home" ?

Thanks
smile.png

Sho them inside the coop each night as dusk. They'll get the idea and be trained to do it themselves before long. They prefer the enclosed safe house with a roost so it shouldn't take long at all. Don't have anyplace for them to roost outside of the coop until they are using the coop every night.

You can use to light to lure them in or just pick them up and put them in without the light. Once they get in the habit of sleeping in the coop they should start going in on their own.

I have never, and I mean never, gotten my chickens to go into a darkened coop...defined as less well lit than the outdoors, at dusk. So I put inside lights on a timer to go on and off at the appropriate times. It is light inside when they go in at dusk and the timer keeps the lights on until shortly after darkness sets in. Never have a problem as long as I don't lose electricity to the coop and the timers lose their setting.

ETA - a string of white LED Christmas lights is all they needed. Mine will typically gather at the door to go in but won't go in until I do if the lights are off. The exception being a couple of rare times when they did but they were huddled up in a corner as far away from the door as they could get. Turned on a light and the eating and drinking began.

Same in the AM when the pop door is opened into the run before it is light out. They will not come out until they can see outside.

Last edited:
Quote:
I was expecting for them to go inside when the dusk was coming..... guess I will have to program a timer again. Thanks for the tip.

I just put a $2 solar patio light in the coop. It comes on when I shut the coop windows for the night. It is an old one so only lasts a couple hours after dark but seems to get them inside.

Back
Top Bottom