They want to make it ALL illegal. What do you think of Senate Bill 510

It seems to me that this thread has been jacked. This forum is about backyard chickens. What does SB510 mean to us? According to Senator Jim Webb not much. Xe formally known as Blackwater owned by Monsanto means nothing to our chickens. Just saying.

No it's not been jacked, read the headline, this is about what the title says, this one is not about chickens. If you want to read on the chickens, find them in the breed, genetics, and showwing sections. This is after the Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change them) section.​

oswegoscott wrote: So much for brevity. Wading through the rhetoric and pomposity,I see one who feels he has succeeded in locating facts.

Well, speaking of rhetoric, ad hominem tactics are usually an indicator that individual using them is rather weak on the facts.

oswegoscott wrote: In the current murkiness of political,military and corporate speech and writing,where do you find the facts that elude the rest of us?

Oh, I've been immersed in the passing parade for a little over 4 decades, now (cut my teeth in the late Johnson/early Nixon era). I never have spent much time watching TV. I will always go straight to the source (don't waste my time having what might be BS strained and repackaged by any side or interest). It is one thing to be upset/concerned it is another entirely to translate this into meaningful action. It is not brevity that is important, it is clarity (that takes time and effort). There are a lot of folks out there like myself (some have appeared in this thread) we all have a hand on the `elephant', none claim to `see it' entire (it might be a mule and not an elephant but, whoever makes the claim had best be prepared to present extrordinary evidence to that effect).

jason_boivin wrote: It seems to me that this thread has been jacked. This forum is about backyard chickens. What does SB510 mean to us? According to Senator Jim Webb not much. Xe formally known as Blackwater owned by Monsanto means nothing to our chickens. Just saying.

Only reason I've kept coming into these S510 threads. As no one has been able to point out (in this or other threads) a specific effect of this bill on either our chooks, or what we grow in our backyard. And, as I've certainly found nothing (would have posted it up immediately), I'll retire from the fray.

P.S. Jim Webb's book, Fields of Fire, is a good read.​

The bill in question exempts producers with less than $500,000 in annual sales who sell the majority of their products within 275 miles of where they are produced & who sell directly to consumers, restaurants or at farmers markets.
Given this what exactly is the threat to the backyard gardener or chicken keeper?

Quote:
No it's not been jacked, read the headline, this is about what the title says, this one is not about chickens. If you want to read on the chickens, find them in the breed, genetics, and showwing sections. This is after the Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change them) section.

Yes but SB 510 is a proposed piece of Federal legislation not a LOCAL Law.

Quote:
It exempts you only IF you follow the long list of rules for those making under or within the limits posted above.
No they are not going to come into everyones backyard, but if you sell anything, even a dozen eggs a week, you are required to file the paperwork with the feds.
And if you don't...

Quote:
Huh,really? http://windfarms.wordpress.com/2010/12/15/bill-c-36-is-now-law/

Yup.... kept hunting, found the OAS/CPP reform, an anti-terrorism... then finally the bit on food.

The radio here yesterday was commenting on a food bank in Ontario that used to receive up to 50 dozen eggs a month from one generous family are no longer allowed to donate the eggs... its a shame that they went to this extent, even increasing their flock to assist hungry families and now the food bank is not allowed to distribute. I had hopes to be able to help with something along these lines... perhaps meat too (all but the meat chickens are done at an inspected facility) but it sounds like that would be regulated too...

http://www.northumberlandtoday.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?archive=true&e=1349335

What is the Food Bill 2749 all about?

Executive Order............
http://news.bestmeal.info/news/fda/

Last edited:
Quote:
No it's not been jacked, read the headline, this is about what the title says, this one is not about chickens. If you want to read on the chickens, find them in the breed, genetics, and showwing sections. This is after the Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change them) section.

Yes but SB 510 is a proposed piece of Federal legislation not a LOCAL Law.

I believe Fed law supercedes local law

Quote:
Well, speaking of rhetoric, ad hominem tactics are usually an indicator that individual using them is rather weak on the facts.

P.S. Jim Webb's book, Fields of Fire, is a good read.

So,you use ad hominem abuse as opposed to answering? I asked WHERE you find facts

Back
Top Bottom