They're hatching 😆also I need hatchaholics to answer a question!

Ahh, I'm starting to feel guilty. One of the pipped eggs stopped moving and I feel like it's because I opened the incubator!View attachment 2675254it's the mostly pipped one. It quit moving completely, it was fine before I opened the incubator. Has this happened to anyone else? Does it really just take maybe 10 seconds of having it open and 1 minute of readjusting to kill a duckling?

:hugs Aww, I'm sorry! It would not have been from opening the incubator momentarily. I open the incubator when necessary. Even in the off chance that it was to result in the duckling shrink wrapping, that would just mean you would have needed to help it the rest of the way out if it were struggling to zip but it wouldn't pass that quickly from that. It looks as though this duckling stopped zipping halfway in your previous images too. The progress looks the same to me.

Guide to Assisted Hatching for All Poultry

If you haven't already done so, it'd be great idea if you could read this over. It's very helpful in many ways.
Yes I definitely need to read that! I've assisted hatch before and I understand terms and timing, but I only know this stuff from winging it in an emergency situation or just reading all the medical jargon on this site. I have seen that article posted so many times but I've been keeping it on hold for too long!

I'll let y'all know how it looks in the morning, I feel like maybe it's just resting. I know I wouldn't be allowed to do anything drastic until more time has passed. These aren't my ducks to assist so I can only do so much☹️

I would be concerned that he isn't moving. Can you tell if he's alive? You might want to open it up and check on him if you can't tell. Sometimes you'll catch them right before they quit and can help them out, but you have to know for sure that they've absorbed everything first.
Checking that one shouldn't have hurt a thing. I open my incubator quite a bit during lockdown, and I've never had a problem. What is your humidity at? The membrane on some of those eggs looks dry.
I would try to keep it at 75% for now.
I gtg to bed, busy day tomorrow, but I wish you luck. Hopefully if you have any more questions tonight, the other hatching exerts on here can help! Fingers crossed for everything to go smoothly.

Okay y'all, after negotiating with the authorities I have been granted permission to assist hatch!
Humidity is at 80%. I'll read the article and dive in! Prayers are much appreciated! It's not moving at all so if I assist it may just turn into an eggtopsy.

Well, it wasn't alive. It was pretty obvious even before I even began to assist. So warning y'all, these pictures aren't pretty.

20210517233700_IMG_0860.JPG
not sure what this bloody bag is but it's attached to the navel and it doesn't look like this guy was ready to come into the world yet.
20210517233530_IMG_0859.JPG
I feel like this guy was severely wrenched around, but I'm an erect person and being in an egg just doesn't seem right in the first place, so I guess that's just perspective.
20210517150515_IMG_0850.JPG
20210517150509_IMG_0846.JPG
these two pics are from when it was alive. I was wondering if sticking it's tongue out repeatedly is normal, or was it an early sign that something was wrong?
And a side note would be that the egg next to him was the one that popped out an hour after this photo was taken. I was totally shocked😂

Back
Top Bottom