Thickening of skin around eyes, skin looks dry --TREATMENT SUGGESTIONS?

cturbow

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2018
One of our olive eggers DOES NOT LOOK RIGHT! The feathers are missing from around her eyes and the skin is very thickened. (And I don't think she needs a round of botox. hahahah)

Under further inspection of her feathers, her skin looks dry and loose. I can't say that it looks crusty, but perhaps more like eczema. Her vent is clean and I don't see any mites on her. (Mind you, maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.) She doesn't have feathers missing anywhere else and she doesn't appear to be picked on by the others.

She is otherwise feeding well, hangs out with her flock, and her energy levels seem normal. Her legs appear normal as well.
Any help would be very much appreciated!
IMG_0126.jpeg

I'm not super sure on this one but could she be molting? Also looks like a bug bite of sorts possibly. Has she gotten into anything recently?

Hmmm... Interesting that you should ask about molting. We have one other lady who's head is bald and looks like she is molting as well. I didn't even go to think that might be happening to our olive egger.

I don't think she's gotten into anything recently. There is an occasional yellow jacket/wasp that gets into their run sniffing out their scraps, so not sure whether she is tangoing with those nasty biting bugs. However, both sides of her face look the same in terms of the thickening of the skin.
I will keep an eye on her. Much appreciate your input!

Hmmm... Interesting that you should ask about molting. We have one other lady who's head is bald and looks like she is molting as well. I didn't even go to think that might be happening to our olive egger.

I don't think she's gotten into anything recently. There is an occasional yellow jacket/wasp that gets into their run sniffing out their scraps, so not sure whether she is tangoing with those nasty biting bugs. However, both sides of her face look the same in terms of the thickening of the skin.
I will keep an eye on her. Much appreciate your input!
Make sure nothing covers her eyes or nose. If she is molting her feathers will start to fall pretty quickly.

Back
Top Bottom