thickness of perch

MelodyGraulich

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 15, 2010
my 2 month old chicks won't perch on a branch i have in their run. they seem to like thinner branches. how thick should the perch branches be when they're full grown.

For the broody I just went out and got a stick and ran it through the top holes of two bricks, then buried the rest under shavings... can't be too high or they won't be able to get up... and not too thin or they won't be able to hang on... better too wide than too narrow... it worked for us until we got our coop up and running.

Edit... scratch that... you said two MONTHS, not two weeks. By that age ours had moved on to 2x4 narrow or thick side.

Last edited:
2 months old - they may not want to roost yet. They will eventually roost on just about anything you put in there. But depending on your climate you may need to consider a few things.

For instance - if it gets below freezing in winter you want a flat perch (2x3 or 2x4) so they birds feet will be flat enough for them to sit on them & keep them from freezing. A round perch will leave their toes exposed to the cold.

For now I would just wait - in about 2 more months they will perch on anything they can find.

Back
Top Bottom