Things I have learned since getting chickens...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't ever get lazy (because you left the chicken's bowl outside) and feed the chickens from the dog's bowl.

The look on the dog's face was PRICELESS

but I think it took me a month to live that one down!

Chickens not only fly over fences (too obvious) they also dig under them and squeeze through any little hole they can find. Also they can walk right through cattle panels.

I have learned that chickens will chase each other away from a feed-dish..........but, they will not chase sparrows away from a feed-dish! (Stupid Chickens!! costin' me a FORTUNE feeding sparrows!)

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

If you go to the coop wearing a sweatshirt with strings make sure to tuck them inside your shirt. I have had several prolonged tug of wars with my hens.

don't forget to take the eggs out of your jacket pocket.

OMG...so true!! I took 2 eggs to work with me...But..they made it home.

Melinda
yippiechickie.gif

1. Don't put an egg in the same pocket with your cell phone.

I have a new cell phone now.

2. Get used to that look when they realize that their dentist is a desert city chicken farmer.

I learned after I got chickens that 3 are not enough. They lay enough eggs for the whole family but they dont stop the chickie cravings disease.

I also learned that silkies are working with cochins in trying to take over the world, I fell for them anyway
love.gif

Quote:
Me too! Why is that? I do not mean to hi jack here but….I all away tell the man at the feed store that I am feeding sparrows not chickens.
he.gif

Anyway, I try to put a positive spin on the visits from the sparrows.

One, chickens throw food all over the place and the sparrows clean up most of the excess that any rodents may be after. Two, when you can hear them, the sparrows, it means all is well with the world. Three, when you cannot hear them or you hear them “scream” it means ….HAWK. Yesterday I heard them screaming and I went outside just in time to see them all panicked and “falling” out of the tree. Thank god, my girls are big because there sat a Sharp-Shinned Hawk staring at them. It was sitting on a branch only five feet above them.
th.gif
I have four big girls and they were all very quiet standing back to back just staring at the hawk. Dummies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom