Things you never said until you had chickens.......

"Oh shoot, I forgot an egg in my pocket and it broke!"

Said at school one day when I forgot to empty all my pockets after the morning feed... I got some strange looks from others in the class.

I have chickens that think they are french they do the french duck dance when I get close to them.
  • La danse des canards (The duck danse)
    by Nathalie Simard

"Mom! That dang hen is on the roof trying to lay an egg again!!!"
Hehehe!
lol.png

"If I don't get some eggs out of you soon you're going in the stew pot"
"Can you move the chicken from in front of the lawn mower? I'm trying to finish the yard!" She was a smart one, she knew all the grasshoppers would be coming her way as we mowed.

Never thought I'd "forget" how many chickens I have...

Actual conversation when encountering a local state candidate on our street going around the neighbor hood with a neighbor:

Neighbor: "Hi! I'd like you to meet "Candidate XYZ" running for X Office "

meet and greet ensues, then...

Neighbor: "Hey, How are your chickens doing?"

Me: "Just great! I had no idea just how opinionated chickens could be! They are really fun"

Neighbor: “How many do you have now?”

Me: (remembering in time the city ordnances )

“Ah,... two....”

Neighbor: “ Two- I thought you had three. Oh no! Did Blackie* eat one!? “

(* Neighborhood gadabout dog who is always out though his owners are always shocked when they find out. I love his visits but he is not allowed to eat my chickens.)

Me: (realizing how stricken neighbor is). “Ah... no, actually there are three. All fine. Ah. but we are only allowed to have two (I blurt out without thinking, but then add for candidates sake….) . “ But they are miniature chickens so surely they don't count as they barely equal one "real" chicken..

Laughs all around.

Me: .Maybe you you can change the ordnance? " "Oops, right. you are running for state, not city ... (finally realizing she didn't know the number allowable and I really didn't need to have pointed that out to her.. .argh!)

Me" I'll got get one and show you how little they are !"

Bring disconcerted hen out to show them...

Them: polite murmurs about how cute my black Silkie hen is ...

Then the candidate, candidates' aide and neighbor escape to seek votes from sane people... LOL!

Back
Top Bottom