Things you wish you could say

I'm saying that it sucks how many dumb people there are. Especially since they are given power. And it isn't intended to be a dig at any particular political establishment, it's a pervasive issue.
My Critical Care Prof. had a saying. "Ignorant people can be taught. If people are corrupt (willfully ignorant) you have to leave."

Last edited:
Prince Philip, Queen Elizabeth's husband, has died. I know a lot of people here in the States say they don't care about the royal family. We did fight and win a war against them after all. But, I personally enjoy reading about (most) of them and think they bring honor and sophistication to the UK. They are a family to look up to, unlike what we have here. The Kartrashians come to mind. Most of our "famous" people are trash, they wear clothes that show their nipples or other body parts then demand to be treated with respect. Show respect for my eyes first. Anyways, my deep condolences to anyone who is mourning the loss of Prince Philip. I know there are a lot of people here on BYC who are from across the pond
Thanks. I hadn't heard. I think he and the Queen had class. I think a lot of people in the US are tired of the drama and fawning surrounding the 'younger' Royals. To Prince Phillip however, I wish 'fair tides and following seas'.

Some of the smartest people I know actually have no common sense.
Probably more of a personality thing than a cognitive ability thing. Maybe something along the lines of less openness to experience + more conscientiousness is related to "common sense". There is somewhat of a relationship between openness and cognitive ability, though I recall hearing that ability has at least a slight positive relationship with conscientiousness as rated by others, but a negative one when it's measured by self-report inventories. Which does kind of make sense, IMO.

Probably more of a personality thing than a cognitive ability thing. Maybe something along the lines of less openness to experience + more conscientiousness is related to "common sense". There is somewhat of a relationship between openness and cognitive ability, though I recall hearing that ability has at least a slight positive relationship with conscientiousness as rated by others, but a negative one when it's measured by self-report inventories. Which does kind of make sense, IMO.
Common sense would mean writing your opinion in a form most people can understand. I don't feel like getting my psychology text book out to look up your phrases. But some people like to use technical 5 syllable words when a 2 syllable word would clear.

Common sense would mean writing your opinion in a form most people can understand. I don't feel like getting my psychology text book out to look up your phrases. But some people like to use technical 5 syllable words when a 2 syllable word would clear.
LOL, there are many cases where meaning has to be sacrificed in order to reduce the amount of knowledge and / or ability required of the reader. And sometimes that sacrifice isn't worth it. I'll give a real-world example. The individuals who make up most of the population lack the ability to be successful scientists, so do you think that scientists are going sacrifice meaning in order to meet your definition of "common sense" when communicating with each other, even via publication? The answer is no. Yet others will still label them as lacking "common sense" (or some other arbitrarily-defined yet supposedly desirable trait), and to be honest, it seems like nothing more than a pathetic coping mechanism. Cognitively able individuals aren't all deficient in some major way, but many individuals of lesser ability enjoy pretending that they are.

Regarding my last post, the five-factor model of personality is in no way an esoteric concept, someone could become familiar with it in about 5 seconds with the help of a Google search. And IMO, a very small and easily-met knowledge requirement is much better than a sacrifice of meaning.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom