Things you wish you could say

Whats worse now, is you can't even get a human being half the time anymore and when you do, they don't speak your Ingrish rangrage and it's about useless to try to explain to them anyways. Unless it's a pebcak issue like try plugging the modem in, they are pretty lost to try to help you and you end up wasting 45 minutes of your life trying to get them to understand, only to be told, use the e mail to describe your issue and they'll get back to you in a few days :/

Heck you should do a scan, see if any of your neighbors have an open WiFi connection and get in on theirs :( Just kidding, don't do that, but yes it IS that easy to do!

Aaron

@gtaus do you have grandkids or anything that possibly could have been downloading stuff at your place? I’m sure you’ve thought of that already but figured I’d mention it just in case. I’m sorry this is happening! I’d almost say go to a lawyer or at least maybe a news station? Maybe if you bring awareness to it they can look into it or something. Maybe the BBB even? But around here one of our local news stations has like kind of an investigative thing where they try to solve problems for people. Maybe yours has something similar.

Have you checked with your cell phone provider. Many of them also offer data plans that you can get internet on your phone and tether your computer to, usb cable, wifi, blue tooth etc etc. That might be an option.

I am looking into getting a unlimited data plan on a phone and turning that into a hotspot for internet. I really don't what all that means at this point, but I hear it is possible and it may be a way to break from my current internet provider. Since I live out in the country, we only have one internet service provider via fiber optic. Their internet service has been good, but I have nothing good to say about their customer service that threw me under the bus.

YOU may not have downloaded any of that but, if you have a weak password or NO password on your wireless, a neighbor may be getting onto your internet to do just those type of things.

I know I did not download those files. A few weeks after the initial DMCA notices, I received an email from Linksys saying that my routers password had been compromised from their database. So I was forced to change my router password at that time. I thought would have fixed the problem, but it did not.

Make sure you have strong passwords on your routers, and wifi devices, even if you are not using it.

Since the second notice and my banned service, I have reset and strengthened my passwords to log on to my wifi network. Problem is, since I never downloaded those files in the first place, I don't know if/how anyone is breaking into my system. My ISP is absolutely no help.

you need to talk to the internet provider who cancelled you, demand they tell you HOW your device was accessed. Ok WHICH computer downloaded it, was it wireless etc? They KNOW so don't let them try to hand you off on this.

They say the DCMA notice corresponds to my IP address at that time. I asked them if they had the IP address, would they give me the MAC of the device used to download the file(s). They said that was not possible because their tracing only goes as far as the IP address.

Worse yet, I found out that the ISP uses shared IP addresses, but they insist it was my device(s) on at that time. They said they cannot narrow it down to a specific device. I wanted to know, exactly, because then I would know if any of my computers had a virus running in the background, or if the MAC address was on a device I did not own, then maybe they would not hold me responsible. Anyway, no help from them. I think they just wanted to fix the blame and did not care if they fixed the problem.

Im sorry for your problems, but if you are using the same equipment to access the internet and there's an exploit on it, it'll only be a matter of time before it happens again.

That is exactly what I am afraid of, and I why I posted a rant on this thread. I'm really paying for a crime I did not commit.

@gtaus do you have grandkids or anything that possibly could have been downloading stuff at your place? I’m sure you’ve thought of that already but figured I’d mention it just in case. I’m sorry this is happening! I’d almost say go to a lawyer or at least maybe a news station? Maybe if you bring awareness to it they can look into it or something. Maybe the BBB even? But around here one of our local news stations has like kind of an investigative thing where they try to solve problems for people. Maybe yours has something similar.

Dear Wife and I did have company at that time of the first violation. But nobody fesses up to downloading anything. They all have their own cell phones with unlimited data plans, so probably not them anyway.

Not worth my time or effort to hire a lawyer. I'd rather do without our internet from our ISP and just get a cell phone with unlimited data. I'm just upset for getting banned from my internet service for something I myself did not violate.

Dear Wife and I did have company at that time of the first violation. But nobody fesses up to downloading anything. They all have their own cell phones with unlimited data plans, so probably not them anyway.

Not worth my time or effort to hire a lawyer. I'd rather do without our internet from our ISP and just get a cell phone with unlimited data. I'm just upset for getting banned from my internet service for something I myself did not violate.
Yeah I totally understand that!! I would be upset too! It should be illegal.

Ugh, how frustrating! Reminds me of insurance companies. You pay on time all the time and the first claim you file, they either dump you or raise your rates. And they don't even cover what was destroyed! Looking at you, Allstate

Let me rant on State Farm. I had insurance on a house for many years, then we had weather damage in something like 2 times in 3 years, so they cancelled my policy. I asked them why they cancelled my policy and they said they paid out more in claims then they were taking in on payments. When I challenged them about the law that says you cannot cancel a policy if the damage is related to weather conditions you have no control over, they said they did not care. State Farm sure was nice to me all those years I paid my insurance premiums without any claims. They showed what they are really like when I needed them.

Back
Top Bottom