Things you wish you could say

You may want to check your local leash laws. Here, every county and municipality has leash laws.
Conversation from people in a rural area:

Dog owner: "There is no leash law here"
Chicken owner: "On my property there is"

(I'm thinking of a specific case, and that one turned out okay. The dog would not come when called, and trampled part of a vegetable garden before it was caught, but after that it left with the owner and was never again seen off-leash near that property.)

You may want to check your local leash laws. Here, every county and municipality has leash laws.
Oh, it's illegal. That's why I'm going to start making a pest of myself to animal control, especially if I see a dog on my property. Technically I'm allowed to shoot a dog going after my livestock or chickens (quail count as livestock, chickens are separate for some reason), but while I haven't looked up the laws, I'm pretty sure it's illegal to shoot a firearm inside city limits like that. Even if it is legal, I think it wouldn't be smart. Too many people/animals/things that could be hit if I miss.

I don’t understand people like that. Even if the dog had never killed a single chicken or other animal in its life, I don’t get people who want to let them roam or whatever. Brew has gotten loose before and I get so scared every time and immediately try to find him as soon as I notice. Which is usually pretty fast since I’m paying attention to where he is. It doesn’t really happen anymore now that we have a fenced yard but it has still occasionally happened when the gate blows open in a storm or someone doesn’t latch it properly. But we found a way to fix it so it can’t blow open anymore. We also worked on training to stay in the yard. If I’m out there, he won’t go out the gate even if it’s open. Long story short, I would never just let him roam. Too many bad things could happen. He could get hit by a car, bit by something, lost, poisoned, shot, etc. not to mention him annoying people and dogs and jumping and trying to play. I would never want him to annoy anyone or scare anyone who’s afraid of dogs. So I keep him home.
I was chased by loose dogs for turning around in a cul-de-sac.

I have no time to argue with you. I welcome you to try it if you want, but in the end, I will be the one with a heartbeat. Otherwise, I have more pressing matters.
Talk to a local lawyer to see what your liabilities would be. No need to take my word for it.

You may want to look up the case of an elderly couple in Ohio that lost everything to the person who was breaking into their empty farm house and stealing from them. They set a booby trap. The culprit admitted in court that he was stealing from them and still won the settlement.

Talk to a local lawyer to see what your liabilities would be. No need to take my word for it.

You may want to look up the case of an elderly couple in Ohio that lost everything to the person who was breaking into their empty farm house and stealing from them. They set a booby trap. The culprit admitted in court that he was stealing from them and still won the settlement.
I am in an ER right now. I need to turn off notifications for this damn site.

Oh wow that’s scary
Yeah. I don't know if anything I was doing played a factor.

Full story is this: I got a bike mount for a drone remote control holder. My family is building a house in a nice big area. I decided to ride around the neighborhood with the drone following me at a nice, high, not bothering anyone height. Usually when riding my bike in the neighborhood I live in I get barked at. I'm used to that. I can't fly the drone here easily, so I took the bike out there to the nice open streets. Drove one way, then turned around and drove back towards the house. I decided to go to the end of the street (about maybe two or three nice big houses down). As I am turning around, three dogs come out and start going after me*. And the cheap remote holder breaks. I'm not really mad about the dogs going after me. I am more concerned about the chickens and how that is going to work. I've seen other dogs in the area dining on Rhode Island Red. I plan to build a chicken fortress. Maybe even get a gun since I won't be tolerating anyone's, regardless of who is who, dog on my land, especially if they eyeball the birds.

(*Could have been the drone they wanted. But they sure did eyeball me more than the drone. I feel the drone may have had something to do with it, but I think they just wanted some nice human ankle first.)

Back
Top Bottom