Thinking about getting ducklings

Pics

ariri30

Free Ranging
7 Years
May 18, 2015
Fair lawn nj
I can’t wait for TSC chicks day. I want to get some duckings. They have a minimum of 6. Last year I got two ducklings and six chicks. All the chicks turned out to be pullets and the two ducklings male. It’s there a way to kind of pick out at least two females out of a straight run? I’m getting all six to boost my chances. If anyone has any suggestions please help me. Thanks

Unless they have an autosexing breed(Welsh Harlequin) your out of luck. Some claim males are more calmer when picked up,I myself have not found that very reliable, Only other way would be to vent sex them, which can be very hard for beginners and i don't think that would be best done in the store.

I always seem to get males at TSC too.

I can’t wait for TSC chicks day. I want to get some duckings. They have a minimum of 6. Last year I got two ducklings and six chicks. All the chicks turned out to be pullets and the two ducklings male. It’s there a way to kind of pick out at least two females out of a straight run? I’m getting all six to boost my chances. If anyone has any suggestions please help me. Thanks

It'll likely be more expensive, but your best bet at getting females is to order them sexed from a hatchery.

Depends on the breeds? It's actually easy most times on certain breeds because the males have melon heads and hens are more dainty looking.

Thanks. I know but I don’t want all females and it’s less stressful for me and them imo by getting them at the store.
Check craigslist and nearby breeders. Ordering or buying off craigslist and hatcheries is better than not knowing the gender, get young ones or adults. I recommend only one drake, depending on your numbers of females. I find it better to know the sex...

I did a search and there’s nothing around me. Thanks for your advice really appreciate it!
I found some pekins in your area.. ducklings, just to show sometimes you need to look harder. I think craigslist would be the best place, but TSC if it's your best option, go for it! Just have a plan for those drakes :)

Screenshot 2020-02-18 at 10.15.35 AM.png

(I used the Zipcode from the google maps, not sure if it's accurate, but it was set in NJ)

I found some pekins in your area.. ducklings, just to show sometimes you need to look harder. I think craigslist would be the best place, but TSC if it's your best option, go for it! Just have a plan for those drakes :)

View attachment 2029457

(I used the Zipcode from the google maps, not sure if it's accurate, but it was set in NJ)
Omg I tried but I really don’t know how to use Craigslist. I would definitely get them if I knew how to find them. I Ll need to sit on a computer and see if I can figure it out. Thank you so much!
You guys are amazing

Back
Top Bottom