Thinking about getting parakeets...

Dottie the Chicken

Lover of Jesus, cows, and chickens
May 8, 2020
Wisconsin
Good late morning, everyone!

I got some money for Christmas, and was told if I clean up my room really well, I can get a parakeet.

Here are some things I've read/heard so far:
Seed, pellet, fruit, and veggie diet

A cage that is preferably longer than it is tall- no round cages

Different kinds of perches

Let them spend some time out of their cages

-----

Does anyone have some really good tips on parakeets? Right now I'm thinking 2 males from a pet store like Petco. I've also heard that they need a vet once in a while. My dad had a couple parakeets growing up, and I doubt his ever got taken to a vet, and I don't want to spend money on that.

Thanks for your help!

Good late morning, everyone!

I got some money for Christmas, and was told if I clean up my room really well, I can get a parakeet.

Here are some things I've read/heard so far:
Seed, pellet, fruit, and veggie diet

A cage that is preferably longer than it is tall- no round cages

Different kinds of perches

Let them spend some time out of their cages

-----

Does anyone have some really good tips on parakeets? Right now I'm thinking 2 males from a pet store like Petco. I've also heard that they need a vet once in a while. My dad had a couple parakeets growing up, and I doubt his ever got taken to a vet, and I don't want to spend money on that.

Thanks for your help!
It sounds like you’ve done your research and 2 males would most likely be your best option. The parakeets from a pet store are typically young and already have wings clipped making it much easier to work with them. I would recommend looking at Amazon for a cage if you are not planning to build your own as they seem less expensive than in the stores. They do have the potential to live long, full lives so there is a high probability that they may require veterinary care at some point but typically not early on. My initial pair of zebra finches and one of my parakeets came from Petsmart and my 2 male parakeets from feeders supply. They have been very health and happy this far. (And have multiplied faster than chicken math 🤣🤣🤣)

It sounds like you’ve done your research and 2 males would most likely be your best option. The parakeets from a pet store are typically young and already have wings clipped making it much easier to work with them. I would recommend looking at Amazon for a cage if you are not planning to build your own as they seem less expensive than in the stores. They do have the potential to live long, full lives so there is a high probability that they may require veterinary care at some point but typically not early on. My initial pair of zebra finches and one of my parakeets came from Petsmart and my 2 male parakeets from feeders supply. They have been very health and happy this far. (And have multiplied faster than chicken math 🤣🤣🤣)
Thank you! I hope that they live long, happy healthy lives!

@KDOGG331 anything to add????
Hmmm well lots of good stuff already said. 😁 but I will second the buying the cage online thing. I actually got a huge flight cage on Chewy for like $80 :eek: but now the price has gone up like $30 or $40 :( still a pretty good deal for the size but not as good as $80 haha

Anyway, I will say get the biggest one you can because I almost got a smaller one, half the height, and I’m glad I didn’t because my birds use the entire cage, even the bottom, and love flying around in it. :love

Mine aren’t hand tame so they don’t come out of the cage but they don’t care and are still friendly and interactive. 😊 so I’d say if you get a big enough cage and get them a friend they don’t necessarily need to come out. But it will be easier to tame them when they’re younger, I just haven’t tried much haha

Mine also don’t eat pellets (I’ve tried) but honestly parakeets eat seeds in the wild anyway so I think as long as they are getting exercise and moving/flying and not just sitting in a cage, they’ll be fine.

Also, mine can be quite loud and messy, especially my male, so be prepared for that 😂🤣🙈

BUT!! I will say that they have been the best decision ever and bring so much joy and happiness. :love my male especially is so friendly and very chatty lol he loves to just fluff up and chatter away and it’s very cute. :love but he can scream quite loud when he wants to 😂🤣 but I’d definitely get males cause they’re more fun.

Hmmm well lots of good stuff already said. 😁 but I will second the buying the cage online thing. I actually got a huge flight cage on Chewy for like $80 :eek: but now the price has gone up like $30 or $40 :( still a pretty good deal for the size but not as good as $80 haha

Anyway, I will say get the biggest one you can because I almost got a smaller one, half the height, and I’m glad I didn’t because my birds use the entire cage, even the bottom, and love flying around in it. :love

Mine aren’t hand tame so they don’t come out of the cage but they don’t care and are still friendly and interactive. 😊 so I’d say if you get a big enough cage and get them a friend they don’t necessarily need to come out. But it will be easier to tame them when they’re younger, I just haven’t tried much haha

Mine also don’t eat pellets (I’ve tried) but honestly parakeets eat seeds in the wild anyway so I think as long as they are getting exercise and moving/flying and not just sitting in a cage, they’ll be fine.

Also, mine can be quite loud and messy, especially my male, so be prepared for that 😂🤣🙈

BUT!! I will say that they have been the best decision ever and bring so much joy and happiness. :love my male especially is so friendly and very chatty lol he loves to just fluff up and chatter away and it’s very cute. :love but he can scream quite loud when he wants to 😂🤣 but I’d definitely get males cause they’re more fun.
Thanks for your input. I definitely want mine to be tame enough to come out of the cage. I'd even like them to be able to talk a bit.

Thanks for your input. I definitely want mine to be tame enough to come out of the cage. I'd even like them to be able to talk a bit.
Mine doesn’t really talk or anything yet but he does chatter lol they say it’s easier to tame one at a time but I felt bad getting just one so I got two lol but you could always get one, tame it, and then get a second one later on. 😊

Back
Top Bottom