Thinking About some Parakeets need help

Oh, how young/old should they be when I get them?

Younger is better, they are usually weaned by six weeks so that's a good age. The younger they are generally the easier it is to tame them. Petco probably won't know their exact age though - a breeder is better if you want to know that.

You're welcome! Please do let me know if you get them :) I love budgies, I got my first one when I was around seven. Then I had a pair that lived to be about 15. Currently I'm owned by a Quaker parrot.

Last edited:
Oh, how young/old should they be when I get them?

Younger is better, they are usually weaned by six weeks so that's a good age. The younger they are generally the easier it is to tame them. Petco probably won't know their exact age though - a breeder is better if you want to know that.

You're welcome! Please do let me know if you get them :) I love budgies, I got my first one when I was around nine. Then I had a pair that lived to be about 15. Currently I'm owned by a Quaker parrot.

I've alWays wanted one or two, but dew to not enough room in the beginning I couldn't get one, and now I might.
I have one more question, do they really need a Cuttlebone or what ever its called?

I've alWays wanted one or two, but dew to not enough room in the beginning I couldn't get one, and now I might.
I have one more question, do they really need a Cuttlebone or what ever its called?

Yep, they use it to help condition their beaks and if you get a female and she lays eggs she will need it for the calcium.

Last edited:

Yep, they use it to help condition their beaks and if you get a female and she lays eggs she will need it for the calcium.

Thanks.

OK i must be driving you nuts by now, but I have two more questions.
Does a Female Budgie lay one egg everyday or only if they mate?
Do I really need a bird bath, or can I just mist them?
Ok a few more.
Wich is better?Female and Female, Male and Male or Female and Male?

Ok a few more.

I don't mind answering :) On the bathing front, that depends. It'll vary by bird what they prefer. So prefer misting and others prefer to bathe.

Female budgies will lay one egg every other day if they lay. Some never do lay, others lay without a mate.

I'd do either two males or a male female pair. Some pairs of females do not do well together and can fight. And with a male female pair you're not guaranteed to get eggs. They are colony breeders so oftentimes they need to hear and see other pairs to bring them into breeding condition. In all the years I had my pair I never had eggs. They mated occasionally, but the female never laid eggs.

Male/male is usually the most free from conflict.

Last edited:
Pyxis is given you some great advice. Online shopping is a great way to get a ball park figure but a good store that specializes in birds will work out cheaper and due to there high turn over the seed etc will be fresher.

In florida a decent cage should be about $20-$35. A travel cage really isn't needed but there maybe $4-$5. fresh millet is generally about a dollar for 6 pieces. Cuttle bone is up in price but $2 worth should last one or 2 birds for a few months. I have about 70-100 English budgies so I've learnt to shop smart.

Ok a few more.

I don't mind answering :) On the bathing front, that depends. It'll vary by bird what they prefer. So prefer misting and others prefer to bathe.

Female budgies will lay one egg every other day if they lay. Some never do lay, others lay without a mate.

I'd do either two males or a male female pair. Some pairs of females do not do well together and can fight. And with a male female pair you're not guaranteed to get eggs. They are colony breeders so oftentimes they need to hear and see other pairs to bring them into breeding condition. In all the years I had my pair I never had eggs. They mated occasionally, but the female never laid eggs.

I think I'll go Male and Female.I wanted both Female, but I didnt know they could fight.OK, so I won't buy the bird bath unless the Budgies really like the Misting.

Thank gpop1

I can totally agree with you, Pyxis. We have two males and two females and the two females don't really get along with each other. Female budgies are also usually not very friendly either.
If you want to mate budgies then you'll need a separate box for the females eggs. And also to mate.

I can totally agree with you, Pyxis. We have two males and two females and the two females don't really get along with each other. Female budgies are also usually not very friendly either.
If you want to mate budgies then you'll need a separate box for the females eggs. And also to mate.

I read that a Female Budgie won't allow a Male to mate with her unless they have a nesting box.Is this true?

I find this all so funny! :gig chickens, male unfriendly(noramlly)and female friendly(normally)Budigies, Male friendly(normally)Female unfriendly(normally!)it's so weird....

Back
Top Bottom