Thinking of giving up

Well as far as I know I have foxes raccoons possums and dogs some talk about coyotes but not sure there never hear of weasels or minks in costal sc
All of those are formidable predators. Smart too. If you'll search the threads on predators and pests, fortify your coop and run against known predators in your area, add electric fence if you can. That's your best defense. Whether they sneak in, climb in, tear in or dig in, plan on it. Again, best of luck and will be following.

Thanks for the pics it allows us to see how unsafe the coop is. Firstly, no locking solid coop with small door. This from the get go is a no no. Alway provide a secure solid coop building with a small coop door, preferably an automatic one that shuts itself at night.

The coop floor and sides should be solid. No area where a predator can open the coop or reach in/ dig in. Chicken owners in areas that flood, should have a coop that is high enough off the ground to stay above flood waters.

A baby monitor and small video camera with night vision should be installed in the coop. Hearing those hen cackle at 12:45 at night can make the difference between a dead flock or one injured chicken.
Example:

The run has a dirt floor. You should never leave the floor dirt. This allows predators to dig in. Cover the run floor with something predators cannot get through. Be it wood or wire. Moving to the run walls and roof. Chicken wire should be pulled off the shelf, in my opinion, or a warning label placed on it indicating it shouldnt be used to contain live animals. Much less our beloved flocks ! The roof should either be made out of sturdy welded wire, backed with a study tiny mesh, or be solid. In cold and rainy climates a solid roof should be used. The coop walls fall under same category as a wire roof. Stong welded wire with a strong mesh backing. Again a camera and moniter should be placed in the run. Something that you can reveiw and access wirelessly via phone, computer , or smart tv.

Locks:
Basically, if a human can unlock your coop a predator can. All coops should have latches with locks and key. Keys should be hung up away from lock. These types of locks should be used anywhere thier is an unsecure door including the coop, any extra doors, like the one allowing access to the nest boxes should be under lock and key. Down below I'd an example.

Let's hope that is the right pic my computer is having some issues.

Just went through the same thing. I ripped out my coop and did it smarter.

A phisher cat or weasel can walk through that fence with their eyes closed smoking a cigar. If you are near water, its a weasel and they just rip off heads and necks.
Wrap coop and fence with chicken wire and cover your floor with galvanized hardware cloth.

Back
Top Bottom