Thinking of selling to stores?

ninny

Songster
12 Years
Jul 1, 2007
IL side of the QCA
I was wondering what it takes to sell to stores? Im gonna be a sham and love chickens. We sell to family and friends now. I'm just wondering if it would be worth selling elsewhere. I have a big worry of not being able to leave. I would love to still go on vacations. Any advice?

I doubt if you could sell to stores at a price that would be worthwhile, unless it was a small mom and pop local store. Then you'd have to check on your laws about selling food items in the store that way. If you get chickens you probably won't be able to leave for more than a couple days without getting someone to come over to feed and look after t hem whiile you are gone.

Quote:
Thats my thoughts. The small mom and pop gas station i work at doesn't sell a lot of eggs so it might work. I try and have someone stay at the house when we're gone.

Here in Texas, we can sell to friends, neighbors, and anyone who drives by (sign in the yard, handing out business cards) as long as I sell to the 'end user'. I am required to put name, addy, ph., etc on the carton "in case of issues" (per Austin). Also, I am required to put 'non-graded, non-sized' on the carton as well. Should I decide to sell to stores (third party sales) then I have to be inspected, and have my eggs inspected as well, sized, graded, etc. Not worth it, with only 30+ hens. Now, you might be able to work out an arrangement with your smaller stores, as I have with (of all places) a tobacco shop. He is going to put a banner up in his store, and hand out my card to anyone who wants to buy eggs. This way I am still selling to the end user, and he does not have to get a 'food products' permit for his shop. We both win.
Check with your state, and see what the requirements are - I am sure they will be more than helpful
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom