Thinking outside the box, breed suggestions~Update pg 8~

id have to say if you like poodles but dont want such extensive grooming look into the powderpuff chinese crested, youll have to comb out and sani trim but the puffers are pretty easy upkeep even in full coat. (and even low-little shedding)
typically outgoing, eager to please and incredibly loyal to their people. quick learners and very human orientated (be carefull of seperation anxiety which is quite common in the breed) they can be somewhat standoffish with stranger, not in an agressive way more in a sighthound type way...ill stand here and let you pet me ut your not my person so im not going to fall all overmyself kind of way...
i think a hairless crestie would work but might be a little too much skin upkeep for ya...a powderpuff however mght work well

id never be without at least 1 crestie now i have one.

if you want somehting thats unusual and looks dobie ish for the hubby, look into the xolo...they come coated if your not into hairless and in 3 sizes (so theres something for everyone) a little hard to find and they are a primitive breed so will definatly make you work for it, but in the right hands, the xolo is an amazing dog, they have a similar body and muzzle shape to the dobie, naturally upright ears and typically black (coat or hairless)
i can guarentee everyone will guess but nnone will know eactly what it is and even fewer can pronounce the breed name let alone spell it lol...but very unique dogs with alot of personality (and even the hairless xolos are pretty wash and wear)

german pinschers would definatly work

id also suggest looking into the manchester terrier
(make sure to bring up that min pins ARE terriers!), manchesters in my expereince are similar ut not as highly strung as the min-pins.

mabe a smooth fox terrier?

or even a toy fox terrier.

side note, personally i think it he wants the cropped dobie look a beuceron is a perfect middle gorund, similar structure, upright ears, reagal black and tan, very inteligent, just a little more coat...

i have to say though my vote given what your looking for in personality that you mentioned and wha tyour husband is looking for in looks a coated xolo might be a very cool way to go
big_smile.png

(id love a standard xolo one day but i cant find a standard breeder in the USA...)

even though i am a H-U-G-E Bull terrier fan i would not reccomend a bull terrier for agility work. they just are too pig headed to listen they are not the type of dog that enjoys pleaseing its owner doing tricks actually they not the "owner-pleaseing" type of dog anyways they rarely will look at you for guidence most of the BT owners i talk to have huge problems gettign there dogs to look at them when out on a walk i also have the same problem think a piece of steak will get these dogs to pay attention to you? HA not likely! they will pay attention to the treat in your hand but not you. im nto saying its impossable to train a bull terrier to do tricks or to follow commands like that im just saying its dang NEAR impossable! bull terriers do however excel at lieing on the couch and going crazy over a ball. but i can just picture taking a bull terrier up a ramp with a treat then watching as he/she just sits there giving you the "i dont hardly think so" look and refuseing to go down the ramp. or a bull terrier who thinks its awsome doing agility at home but the second you get them into the ring around other dogs and people especielly they just flat out ignore you to wag tis tail and smile at the crowd!
i have to say though if you got one your husband would fall in love within a second i have yet to meet a person who has met a bull terrier and DIDNT fall in love with there personalities!

just wanted to say, balls make EXCELLENT rewards for agility training.
smile.png
So, a dog that goes crazy for a ball isn't hard to train. Tug is also a great agility reward. Ever see the dog/handler playing tug with the leash at the end of a run? That's why! They have ramped the dog to expect that as a reward.

For me, a "treat" is whatever the dog is most interested in, be it a ball, a piece of liver, or a game of tug

Wendy -- Yep, I'm getting a Clumber for YOU
tongue.png
but what about a dog that I get to keep?

To those who have suggested Basenji, I am very very familiar with them, I have lived with up to 20 of them at a time when I was growing up. I don't consider them dogs that enjoy working with you. They enjoy you, but them enjoy themselves and their own agendas first!
wink.png
They aren't a bad suggestion, but not a dog I'll be putting on my list.

Corgi? Absolutely on my list! I have always liked them, and in fact, have never met one with behavior issues large enough to make me say no to them as a breed.

Doxie? Hmmm Nope. If I had one it would be standard and long haired. I feel they are the most sane as a group. But I brought this up to DH last night and he said NO.
roll.png

Chinese Crested? No to that too, though when I decided on a Papillon they were on my top three condenders. I like them and know they can be quite trainable...there's just something about them that I can't see me having one. Sorry to anyone that offends -- it's not intentional.
hide.gif

Cavaliers may go on the list though most I have known are too 'soft' for me in temperament. They are very good in OB though, and something a little unusual as a demo dog.

Brittany -- sorry no. A bit too large for what I am looking for now.

IG? Nooooo....Sight hounds aren't known for their willingness or love of OB and I can't see me bringing and IG over to someones house as a demo dog. The poor little thing will shake itself out of its skin LOL

Kelpie? No, too large for me right now, I have seen some very large ones.

Wheaton and Havanese aren't on my list due to grooming requirements.

Quote:
Ok....my home ins't gigantic, about 1600 sq ft. I have a fully fenced, privacy fenced back yard. It's pretty large for a backyard in a neighborhood. I stay at home, dog training, and we have one daughter who is 3.5 years. We plan on having more children in the near future. So that gives the low down on how much time and energy I have to put into a dog. I have been a trainer, professionally since 1998, but was training dogs long before that. Breeds I have had in the past, or lived with in the past: GSD, Rat Terrier, Papillon, Russo-European Laika, Karelian Bear Dogs, Basenji, Fox Terriers, Manchester Terriers, Toy Fox Terriers, Jack Russles, Rottweilers. Those are all breeds that I have lived with in my home at one time or another. A lot of these dog breeds were my Grandmothers dogs. I lived with her on and off while growing up. So, as you can see, I am used to breeds that can be challenging to train.

I don't mind a challenge at all. But most of my clients aren't "in" dogs so they are impressed with whatever I show them. Though, personally, I do like more unusual breeds. But unusual does also usually mean more $$$ as well.

Quote:
Oh, no the brussels and affens both require grooming. They should be hand stripped to keep proper coat. The smooth brussels dont need that, but the rough do.

Quote:
Brits too large, but you were considering cattle dogs? ACDs are generally in the 50 lbs range, brits in the 35-40 lbs...
Otherwise, your list and mine sound very similar when I was looking for a smallish performance dog. Right down to vetoeing the same breeds I did!
I do think Bagandhens made a good suggestion with the xolo, except as with the GPs, I have seen a lot of shyness in them. (btw, bagandhens, there's a breeder in Ohio and one in FL with standard xolos)

You might be surprised that rare breeds dont always cost more. If you find a breeder and impress them, and they know you plan to DO something with the dog, they may cut you a heck of a deal. Lets face it, sheltie breeders can always sell puppies, but a rare breed breeder has less buyers. They may agree to a lower price or even free if you show or will keep a male intact and allow them a breeding to him, etc.

OH! Border Terriers! Adorable little scamps, not as sharp as many terriers and a bit more biddable. Some grooming, but not bad. There are a lot in our club here, kicking butt in obed, agility and rally.

I consider the ACD to generally be a smaller dog than the Brittany. The Britt has such a different build, the ACD is shorter and stocky. The Brittany appears to be a larger dog to most people, I have one that is a freqent boarder with me and he's is about 55lbs -- but he's really tall. Maybe I should have said tall instead of large.
smile.png

Quote:
Ah, the big ol hunting boys! No, there are a lot of little ones. Most I see are little things, 35 lbs and light built. I think you are on the west coast, arent you? maybe they are bigger that way.

Back
Top Bottom