~*Third Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatch-Athon*~ all poultry welcome!

I lost 5 of my 7 mille fleur d'Uccles in this week's hatch. I think my humidity was a touch high during incubation. The first one that hatched was great, the second one pipped in the middle of the egg and needed a bit of help at the end cause it had cracked off a large chunk of the shell around the middle and the membrane was starting to get a bit yellowed. I went to candle the non-pippers to look for movement and veining and picked that egg up first and found the bottom was where the chick pipped and quickly put it back right side up. Before bed, I cracked the remaining portion of the shell all the way around and removed the membrane over it's beak. By morning it was out and I put them both in the brooder. Candled the remaining and there was no movement and all veins had receeded. Still weren't hatched by the time I got home from work, so I called the end of the hatch since I have another to set tonight (2 d'Uccle crosses and 3 Ameraucana/Araucana crosses). Here's hoping this hatch goes better than the d'Uccles this week since the d'Uccle crosses are the most adorable things I have ever seen and the A/As have been insanely difficult to hatch. I have A/As in the brooder right now, but I fear 3 of those 5 are cockrels and there's just one I plan on keeping to replace one I lost this month - it's the same coloration.)
Wow i have hear of those bantams they are lovely i hope everything goes well

Wow i have hear of those bantams they are lovely i hope everything goes well
I love my bantams. I have a breeding quad right now of the d'Uccles and there are at least 2 of my Easter Hatch of them that I plan to keep (selling the rest). And I've got another 14 in the 'bator right now due on the 22nd. I'm hoping for a few more with light coloring out of that batch cause I think it will be my last for the season. It will start to get to warm to maintain good 'bator temp by mid-June here.

I love my bantams. I have a breeding quad right now of the d'Uccles and there are at least 2 of my Easter Hatch of them that I plan to keep (selling the rest). And I've got another 14 in the 'bator right now due on the 22nd. I'm hoping for a few more with light coloring out of that batch cause I think it will be my last for the season. It will start to get to warm to maintain good 'bator temp by mid-June here.
awesome

Do you have any VetWrap?  A thin strip of it might be less irritating?
I have some don't know why I didn't think about that instead of bandaid but its not the bandaid that is causing the irritation although I'm going to switch to vetwrap anyway. She is dragging here legs still. Just now instead of one its both. And her one foot is twisted inward.
This was before it was wrapped but shows how its twisted.

Booting is done. Chick was quite lost & helpless with the adjustment until I put paper towel in the basket, very happy now. It had been wobbling around on its fists just fine before I got involved & didn't seem to appreciate the change.
The object on the FR's wing was debris; also what was causing the improper movement - fluff just was NOT fluffing
lau.gif
and was glued to upper section of wing, so wing was partly immobilized. Fixed that, so it's wet again...

I have some don't know why I didn't think about that instead of bandaid but its not the bandaid that is causing the irritation although I'm going to switch to vetwrap anyway. She is dragging here legs still. Just now instead of one its both. And her one foot is twisted inward.
This was before it was wrapped but shows how its twisted.

I have NO idea what the standard recommendation is on that, but I know what I'd try... I would first try a splint on the (hock?) joint to hold it straighter - maybe a book match sized cardboard with thin vetwrap... if that failed, I'd try putting a 'spacer' inside the hobble to hold the legs apart the right distance - again using a match sized piece. Maybe someone will pop by that has more experience with leg abnormalities & let us both know what the recommended treatment is.

I have NO idea what the standard recommendation is on that, but I know what I'd try... I would first try a splint on the (hock?) joint to hold it straighter - maybe a book match sized cardboard with thin vetwrap... if that failed, I'd try putting a 'spacer' inside the hobble to hold the legs apart the right distance - again using a match sized piece. Maybe someone will pop by that has more experience with leg abnormalities & let us both know what the recommended treatment is.

i have the spacer part. but she just wobbles falls forward throws her legs behind her trying to get back up and then just kinda gives up for a while

Oky so far I've tried the spacer, splint, hock splint nothing is helping in the least. I think I'm going to have to make a judgement call on this one and cull it. It was a wrong end pip and took quite a while to hatch. I think I should have helped it out of the egg sooner instead of waiting for it to do it alone.

Back
Top Bottom