~*Third Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatch-Athon*~ all poultry welcome!

May I enter my pigeons to the chatting? I have 2 squabs on the ground, nearly flying now, but have 1 egg due by Wednesday, hopefully :fl Only 1 egg made it, and I can see him moving around in the egg! Despite having TWO cracks the little dude seems to be thriving. Coming from great lines, very impatient waiting for him to hatch!
GOod luck -- they'll make it!!! Given that you call them squab I am assuming these are a food pigeon vs a racing pigeon. . . . . love to know more.
Soft boiled egg for a midnight snack? I think so!
FOr you? or the chicks????? :lau Actually, send it my way please. lol
I think all young pigeons are called squab...like all young turkeys are poults.

GOod luck -- they'll make it!!!  Given that you call them squab I am assuming these are a food pigeon vs a racing pigeon. . . . . love to know more.

FOr you? or the chicks????? :lau

Actually, send it my way please. lol
lol it was for me but I have made them for the chicks before. Always starts a game of chicken football... they love them.

Arielle -

All pigeons are called squabs when they're young, just like all turkeys are called poults (quoting Silkie Sensation there, lol)

These guys are racers. Their mom won a 800 mile race :) not for eating, these youngins. I did have some meat birds but they refused to have children, so I sold them.

I actually have 2 squabs already who are 4 weeks. However, 1 got attacked. and I'm afraid she won't make it. Her brother is alive and well though, and their parents are also currently on eggs.

We also had another hen who was attacked, but she looks pretty good. Mostly superficial damage.

5 chicks out 2 chick pips 6 turkey pips.
On a sad note my dog got into the grow out pen and killed6 chickens and a guinea :(

:hugs

That is why I now have MAJOR dog issues now. So sorry that that happened to you.

On a happier note, after two TERRIBLE sets of shipped eggs/hatching, and set three that had ONE egg that developed and hatched (so, does that count as a 100% hatch rate or a 1/12 hatch rate since all others were clears?) I had a good hatch!

:ya

Set four, have been hatching WELL, I right now have four more eggs in the incubator, I think one is viable, not positive about them, so those four are going to sit there for another day or so, one egg with an upside-down successful exterior pip that looks like it will be OK, and EIGHT PERFECTLY HEALTHY TOTALLY ADORABLE CHICKS!!!!

:th

That is GOOD for shipped eggs! That is VERY GOOD!

Sooooooooooooo happy! :D

Yup, any bird gets into the dogs' run is dinner. Of course the dogs can run among the flock and not touch a one.
th.gif
Its a matter of training. In general farm space everyone is fine, in the dogs zone that is another story!!

Well as a few of you know i finally got 5 chicks this last Friday which after 6 months of trying it was a complete impulse buy on my part
gig.gif
but i think i just got my self in trouble chicken wise i answered a ad here on backyard chickens a week or so ago which i didn't hear back until a few days ago (so i thought she found someone already). She has 7 Brahma egg's due to hatch on Wednesday that i offered to take if they hatched turns out she still needs me to take them
clap.gif
. That's going to be a grand total of 14 chickens (if they all hatch)!! My parent's only gave me the OK on 3 chickens
lau.gif
. I am so screwed!!

Though i don't think they will find out anytime soon they are about as interested in me and what i do as i am in water polo (i painted my room neon green 3 years ago and my mom just noticed last Christmas
pop.gif
). But feeding chickens is way cheaper then feeding dogs so i should be good but i need to expand my coop before the new chicks get here

here are the current chicks in the outside brooder

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom