This forum has been much different lately.

How did I know that? I must be a clairvoyant. :lau Or did it come through my German DNA?
As it seems, you do wear your magicians hat with good reason.
1623776556502.png

Well, as far as I know that is the purpose of this kind of ring-a-ring-a-roses?
I always thought it was 'ring around a rosy'. Have I been saying it WRONG ALL MY LIFE?!!
I always said "Ring around the Rosy" 🤔
Oh dear, I sing, "Ring a round the rosies,"

I'm a nanny so this could be a serious professional error.
The origin of that nursery rhyme is actually pretty dark.

History time, folks! Gather 'round!

The original story is that "Ring Around the Rosie" was a nursery rhyme invented during the Black Plague of the 13th century, with the lyrics ascribed:

"Ring around the Rosie."

This is said to refer to the counting of Rosary beads.

"Pockets full of posies."

At the time of the Black Plague, people were of the belief that smells were what caused the spreading of the plague. This line is supposed to refer to children keeping sweet-smelling flowers in their pockets so that they won't smell the "bad smells" and catch the plague.

"Ashes, ashes."

This is supposed to refer to the burning of plague victims' homes in an effort to stop the spread. Some versions replace this with "achoo," supposedly to signify the sneezing of the plague victims.

"We all fall down."

This is supposed to refer to the amount of people left dying in the streets and falling over due to weakness and famine.

The funny thing is, that's not the story at all! The earliest reference to the "Ring Around the Rosie" game we know of is from Kate Greenaway’s Mother Goose or The Old Nursery Rhymes, which was printed in 1881 -- a full five hundred years after the Black Plague swept Europe (and a little over 200 years after the London Plague!)

There's also multiple different versions of the original song published around the same time as the first 1881 publication!

Ring a ring a rosie,
A bottle full of posie,
All the girls in our town,
Ring for little Josie.

Round the ring of roses,
Pots full of posies,
The one stoops the last
Shall tell whom she loves the best.

This publication was from William Wells Newell in 1883, and the following was published in Charlotte Sophia Burne’s Shropshire Folk-Lore, also from 1883.

Ring-a-ring o’ roses,
A pocket full of posies,
One for Jack, and one for Jim,
And one for little Moses.
A-tischa! A-tischa! A-tischa!

It's overall just a children's game that people added a history to in order to make it more interesting, even though the history isn't necessarily true. ;)

The original story is that "Ring Around the Rosie" was a nursery rhyme invented during the Black Plague of the 13th century, with the lyrics ascribed:

At the time of the Black Plague, people were of the belief that smells were what caused the spreading of the plague. This line is supposed to refer to children keeping sweet-smelling flowers in their pockets so that they won't smell the "bad smells" and catch the plague.

This is supposed to refer to the burning of plague victims' homes in an effort to stop the spread. Some versions replace this with "achoo," supposedly to signify the sneezing of the plague victims.

This is supposed to refer to the amount of people left dying in the streets and falling over due to weakness and famine.

The funny thing is, that's not the story at all! The earliest reference to the "Ring Around the Rosie" game we know of is from Kate Greenaway’s Mother Goose or The Old Nursery Rhymes, which was printed in 1881 -- a full five hundred years after the Black Plague swept Europe (and a little over 200 years after the London Plague!)

There's also multiple different versions of the original song published around the same time as the first 1881 publication!

This publication was from William Wells Newell in 1883, and the following was published in Charlotte Sophia Burne’s Shropshire Folk-Lore, also from 1883.

It's overall just a children's game that people added a history to in order to make it more interesting, even though the history isn't necessarily true. ;)
Thank you! I always love to learn something new.

You forgot about the medical masks:
nejmp2011418_f1.jpeg

These masks protected them from the "miasma" that was thought to cause the disease. They would stuff the beak with posies

Back
Top Bottom