THIS IS HOW TAKE OFF A ROOSTERS SPURS

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by redrooster99, Oct 20, 2013.

1. YES

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. NO

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. NOT APPPLICABLE

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. redrooster99

redrooster99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    georgia
    I FOUND THIS VIDEO FOR ALL OF US WHO HAVE WONDER HOW TO GET OFF A ROOSTERS SPUR.THIS IS NOT MY VIDEO NOR ME.

2. TTracy

TTracy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
    Very helpful, thanks for sharing. I dont think that I would/could clip the under part of the spur! Watching the video, I was like.....[​IMG]
    Lol!

3. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    No doubt you could do this in this time consuming messy way, but why?

All you need is a drill and a drummel bit or something like it. As you 'cut' the spur with the drummel bit (using the side) it will cauterize as it goes; thus, no blood.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The twisting off is simple and fast. Soaking and lotion is not necessary at all. I would NOT cut off the tip of the new spur! If you are worried about it being too sharp, wait a week or so until it has dried up and use a coarse nail file to blunt it a bit. I will say I've never had to do that, though.

5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Look up hot potato spur removal. I have done this and the bird doesn't bleed (I don't cut the tips off) and the spurs didn't grow back at a sharp point like what is seen after the spur's outer coat was removed. Now the roosters may sharpen them back to a point. I have one that does this now matter if I remove the spur or just dull the end of the spur.

6. redrooster99

Jun 14, 2013
    georgia
    those are some good ideas thanks for sharing

7. redrooster99

Jun 14, 2013
    georgia
    i have an idea i think i should make a thread about common chicken problems and remidies and let people post their problem and all of us byc members post and help them out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by