This is soooo NOT a roo, correct? (brahma)

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
When I posted pics of my broody's chicks about a week ago, several people convinced me that all three were roos.

Today, a week later, I have serious doubts that TJ (Thor, Jr.) is a roo. Rowdy and Cash, sure, their combs and wattles at less than 5 weeks old give them away. But TJ? Having raised a flock of brahmas, I just don't see the roo in this chick.

Ignore the comb for a minute and the size (Daddy Thor is a BIG chicken), look at the feathering. Way too much feathering (tailfeathers esp.) to be a cockerel, correct?

TJ is dark brahma over light.

4810_tjroo1.jpg

4810_tjroo2.jpg

4810_tjroo3.jpg

Pretty pretty pretty chick! I don't know if it is a boy or girl since I don't know the breed all that well yet but very pretty results of crossing the two colors! Wish I could help on the sex!

I've never had a brahma but the feathering on that one looks like a hen. Ignoring the comb I'd say hen
big_smile.png

Quote:
Thanks. I think so too.
smile.png
I have another hen trying to go broody on me, a SF, and I will be giving her all brahma eggs this time. I've decided that out of all my chickens, my brahmas are still my favorites.

Quote:
After you statement about the male cat needing SPAYING over on FB, nah, no thanks Impy. I'll still rely on you for other things.

Well, I'm not a Brahma expert, never even had one. But - I'm totally on the fence on this one. The feathering doens't look cockerel-ish to me (pullet), but the legs are thick (cockerel), and the comb appears to be getting red (cockerel) - but, the overal stance and head shape says pullet to me.....so....
idunno.gif

Quote:
Wynette, I thought your roo with the foot trouble was a brahma. I must have been mistaken. Sorry.

I vote for pullet. I didn't ignore the comb, but even looking at it, it's still a light peach color and rather small. The bird's feathering is also very rounded, despite the bird's large size and big-boned figure.

Quote:
It's hard to see in the pics, but when I'm outside with them it really appears that TJ's comb is much lighter in color - a peach color, as you said - than Rowdy's and Cash's, which are definitely pinking up.

Thanks for the input.

Back
Top Bottom