This is sooooo EGGciting!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LilBizzy, Jan 23, 2009.

1. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    I unexpectly lost my really cool rooster, and decided to try hatching some eggs. I would have liked to see him as a daddy, but, it will have to suffice seeing his babies.
    So, I bought an incubator, and put in 4 eggs. After 5 days, I candled and couldn't see anything, so I added in 6 more eggs " just in case".
    Well, those 4 eggs are bounding with life! I cannot help myself. I've been candling every day, just to watch.
    The first sign of life, it was exciting, but also kind of creepy looking. This little dark blob moving around the inside of the egg. And in just a few days time, that "blob" has grown and is taking shape. I can't tell head from feet, but I see shape, and that huge eyeball LOL.
    It's just- really a cool experience. I'm looking forward to hatch day. ( NINE MORE DAYS).. This is just truly amazing. I can't say I'll get addicted to hatching, but I think i would recommend everyone try it, even just once.

Now, if I could just figure out where I am gonna put them all LOL

2. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Congratulations! It is pretty cool to see your little chickies growing inside! Amazing really. I am on day 10 of my first hatch, so you are a couple of days ahead of me.

Here's to a great hatch!!! [​IMG]

3. Fresh Eggs

Fresh Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Congrats!!!! Dont candle anymore!!! I candled too much, and mi chickies died in the egg. Just open the bator to add water and or turn them.

Again Congrats,

Fresh Eggs

P.S. Seeing a embryo for the first time is sooo cool!

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Sorry about your rooster, but delighted about the coming hatching! Hope it all goes perfect! [​IMG]

5. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Ive been amazed that the temps and humidity have been holding pretty steady. I know I cant candle after day 18. I'll probably candle for a few more days though. I like watching them grow. Im gentle with the eggs, and in a natural setting, the mamma gets off the nest on occasion, whether the weather is hot or cold, or just right. So I dont think candling will hurt them

6. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    This is really my first incubating also, on day 7 and already anticipating this... Egg turner quit on me when I woke up of course it as full of eggs. The power cord fell and crunched an araucana egg and I was upset about that but they will lay more and I can always incubate again.

7. SussexInSeattle

SussexInSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Washington
    Do you know the status of WeeMan? Is he in the big rooster place in the sky? Or did he just go off to live elsewhere? I don't know why I am so curious about him, I just wonder if the deed is done since I had a couple evils of my own last year that needed to be culled.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by