This is the first winter in Wisconsin for my chicks

ab333

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 28, 2009
Amherst
And they just do not want to go roam around outside in this weather. Though I wouldn't either. So, is this normal for chickens in the winter??
Thanks so much
Amy In Wi.

Well. mine have been in for two days, they were funny yesterday- raced to the door and then the alpha stopped. The others were still in motion and tipped her out into the run. She screamed, they screamed and everyone went to the back of the coop. They had mutually decided that -17 C chill factor was an unnecessary event. Yep, your birds are normal. You live in a severe weather zone. Chickens improve their attitude with shavings or straw placed on ice or snow, they like outdoor platforms, and it's not so much the temperature as the sensation on their feet, and a dislike for high winds. I expect mine will go out tomorrow, bless their chicken hearts.
lol.png

Hi Amy,

I also live in Wi; ( Hayward), and my chickens didn't really want to go outside either, but today since I knew it was going to be around 20 degrees, I shoveled out their run a little, and then put down some bedding so they could walk around on that. I sprinkled some of their feed out there too, and sure enough they were out most of the afternoon! They seemed to be happy not to be "cooped up" anymore, which was due to our bitter cold we had been having. More snow on the way tomorrow though!!

We made it into the 40s today, and my girls were THRILLED!! They stayed out in the run or on their chicken porch for most of the day. They do NOT like the 20s (haven't been below that accept dead of night), and only venture out for very brief stints in the low to mid 30s. They do not like snow at all. Mine are 13 weeks now, so maybe next winter will be different. I don't think either my little chickens or myself could make it in Wisconsin...

Same here...first chicken winter in WI.....Mine have a lot of room inside the coop aand a popdoor out into a covered and shielded run. No snow blowing in. When I opened the door 'to the big outdoors' they ran out of the door and stopped dead. The area about a foot in front of the door was not covered in snow but beyond that it was white. That was before we had the big snow event Tuesday/Wednesday. I left the door from run to yard open and went back in the house. They pretended not to notice the snow, 4 of them stood really close by the door pecking and scratching. Oh well I thought....After about 15 minutes I heard a ruckus ... one of the girls was screaming and compaining. First I thought there was trouble. I ran out, my 3 GLW's had finlly crossed that inch of snow to go dust bathe under/behind the junipers along the house. The EE was still by the door of the run screaming bloody murder because her buddies left her behind. She refused to put one toe in the snow. It was too funny. My RIR and BR did not even venture to the run door. Today it was up to 29 and I ent and opened the big coop door so they could go out for a while. The ramp to the coop and a wide path to the backdoor and the beloved junipers are shoveled down to a thin layer of snow. So far they have refused to go out...I hope they'll change their mind, otherwise it will be coop and run until spring. They have lots of space, I only have 5 girls now. My RIR pullet Lucy turned out to be a roo and was rehomed yesterday. And to top it all of, the chickens act as if the weather was all my fault!!!!! They don't seem to mind the temp but the snow seems to be too much...
smile.png

I'm in my 7 year with chickens if given a choice when its not sunny, with deep snow they will stay in, but you get a nut case who just has to go out to see what all that white stuff is. then the fun begins

Back
Top Bottom