This oughta be easy!..

lamNervousNellie

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 24, 2011
Mishawaka, Indiana
Ok, I'm guilty. I finally broke down and bought 6 bantams from TSC yesterday
hide.gif
I thought the DBF was gonna kill me, but he didn't give me too much of a hard time
woot.gif

So, here they are. I have 2 of each. The first is obviously a silkie, (which is what suckered me into buying the banties in the first place!) but I was wondering if anyone had a guess as to what color she'll be? I'm assuming white, but I suppose there's a possibility for buff?
(The lighting makes her look a little lighter than she really is, she's actually a little more cream colored with a hint of grey here & there)
83702_2011-04-23_13_47_12.jpg

I'm assuming this is an EE of some sort.. Classic chipmunk markings. The other one that looks just like her is slightly smaller, but I think she just might be a little runty
tongue.png
83702_2011-04-23_13_53_04.jpg

And my only guess for the 2 that look like this is cochin.. Feathered shanks & toes, shanks are yellowish. I'm thinking these will be white cochin, as I've heard buff cochin chicks are almost orangey. Any thoughts?
83702_2011-04-23_13_50_44.jpg

Side note: Last week I came across the post for a homemade photo box for photographing chicks. Check it out here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=169003&p=1 Genius idea, Poulets De Cajun!!!

I too have cochins, they did look that way at first. I'll have to dig the pics out but I'm pretty sure.

Hi Guys, Umm... I Know This Has Nothing To Do With This Subject but, Is It Normal For a hen to lay 2 eggs at a time? x Thank's
hmm.png
hmm.png
hmm.png

OP, there are MANY varieties of real breeds that have chipmunk stripes. What were the bins marked as? Or call the store and ask what breeds they had. Give us the choices and we can help you narrow down the specifics. If the striped chicks are not considerably larger than the silkies, they are almost certainly bantams, and not likely to be Easter Eggers.

Quote:
The bin was just assorted bantams.. Unfortunately no one at my local TSC knows anything about chickens and certainly not what breeds their chicks are
roll.png
The striped chicks are smaller than the silkies and are definitely bantams. I don't know a whole lot about bantam breeds, except silkies.. but that's only because they're true bantams, so I'm kinda cheating
cool.png
(And thanks for pointing the thread hijacker in the right direction
smile.png
)

It's really hard to tell the colors on the last pic. Is it kind of buffish color with bluish on the back? It also looks like it has a beard/muffs. If that is the case, then I think you have a porcelain D'Uccle.

This is what I did, call TSC and ask what hatchery supplies the chicks. THEN call that hatchery, tell them where you got them, and ask what assortment they send for bantams. The hatchery that supplies FFH here was very happy to help me and gave me a list of 7 possible breeds. I then googled each breed and it was very easy to tell what they were at that point.
smile.png

Thniks to look at in a young chick to distinguish variety and breed. Number of toes, clean or feather legged, comb type, size relative to same-age bird of a known breed. The chick looks to be wild-type, which makes me think BBR old English. But not if featehr legged or not a single comb or if muffed & bearded. I don't THINK it has any of those, but the photo isn't super clear (don't worry, most of mine are equally fuzzy). Pink vs yellow skin is sometimes hard to tell until a few weeks, not to mention photo colours transferred to a confuser (computer are notably unreliable.

Back
Top Bottom