This roo and hens what will happen?

chad05gsa

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 3, 2014
Just curious if I decide to hatch eggs in the spring what's the outcome going to be? Obviously there different breeds of chickens. I was thinking about hatching some for my neighbor, and giving them to him (might keep one or two myself). But currently they are all really good egg layers, and hopefully I can keep this going. Just curious what some of your thoughts are?

Also seeing that I let mine free range, and he does as well. Will there be any problems in continuing to do so once his are older. Thanks in advance for any tips

95e8e972a0f92588d746e3dbc309526b.jpg

I don’t know if those are purebreds or not. If they are purebreds, you will wind up with some different looking chicks. If some of them are crosses, you will wind up with a lot of different looking chicks.

Egg laying is an inherited trait. If the hens are good egg layers and the rooster comes from good egg layers, the pullets will be good egg layers. However the cockerels will be really lousy at laying eggs. They always are. I’ve never gotten an egg from a cockerel.

Whether or not there are any problems with you and your neighbor each having a free range flock depends on a lot of things. As long as neither of you bring in outside chickens the risk of them spreading any diseases to each other is pretty small. What is in your soil is probably what is in his soil.

How close they are will make a big difference. If they are fairly close they will mingle. As long as each of you train your chickens to roost in your own coops they will probably return there at night, even if they form one flock during the day. Don’t be surprised if some switch though. Egg laying could be an issue. Pullets often take their cue as to where to lay from the older hens that are already laying. They don’t always lay where they roost.

Will your neighbor’s flock have a rooster? If not, there is a real chance they will become one flock during the day. They may even all start roosting together. If he does have a rooster, once that rooster becomes an adult, they will almost certainly establish separate territories and sort of keep the flocks separate. You may have some issues getting to that point while his rooster is an adolescent. Even if you wind up with separate flocks, it is still possible either rooster could be the father of any future chick that hatches.

Will the roosters fight? Probably some at first while they are establishing their territory, but eventually they should reach an accommodation.

Many people have different flocks fairly close together and it works out fine. Their social hierarchy is set up to allow separate flocks pretty close together with each flock having its own territory, but the roosters have to be willing and able to defend their territory. As long as you and your neighbor get along you should be able to work out the details.

Agree you'll have a colorful bunch of mixed breed birds. If the parent stock are good layers, the offspring should be also. Do be prepared for the amount of cockerels you'll hatch out, though. It sure helps to have a plan in place before you have a dozen hormonal 5 month old cockerels wrecking havoc in the flock.

Thanks for all the insight to my questions everyone (nicely broken down and explained rigerunner). My neighbor and I get along vary well.he is far more educated on chickens then myself (for the most part). I don't mind if they mingle during the day, just want the eggs continued to be in my nesting boxes not his. I've spent a lot of time and effort to just give away my eggs to a different household.

Back
Top Bottom